Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete orignal after making changes in iPhoto 11

When I compare the Master and Previews folders I find both the original and the "corrected" copies of the same photo. Is there a way to delete the original without doing a folder by folder comparison? And is it safe to delete directly from the Masters folder or is there another way to do it?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 1:09 PM

If you want to delete the original photo then simply don't use iPhoto.

Iphoto is a Ditigal Asset Manager. It treats the original file like a film shooter treats the negative. It preserves it no matter what. It's needed should you ever require to revert to the original, export the original etc. It's also required for the non-destructive editing feature in iPhoto.

The iPhoto Library is not designed to accessed by the User. Never remove, move, rename or in anyway change anything within it. Doing so will trash the Library and cause dataloss.

If you don't want the lossless editing, the ability to revert to Original and so on, then don't use iPhoto (or apps like Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa etc) as that's exactly what they are designed to do.

Regards

TD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2011 1:09 PM in response to ksingernc

If you want to delete the original photo then simply don't use iPhoto.

Iphoto is a Ditigal Asset Manager. It treats the original file like a film shooter treats the negative. It preserves it no matter what. It's needed should you ever require to revert to the original, export the original etc. It's also required for the non-destructive editing feature in iPhoto.

The iPhoto Library is not designed to accessed by the User. Never remove, move, rename or in anyway change anything within it. Doing so will trash the Library and cause dataloss.

If you don't want the lossless editing, the ability to revert to Original and so on, then don't use iPhoto (or apps like Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa etc) as that's exactly what they are designed to do.

Regards

TD

Jul 2, 2011 4:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks, that was helpful. I like all iPhoto can do and don't want to mess it up, but I may do fewer revisions to keep the library size manageable. Can I ask a couple of follow-up questions?

If I revise my revision of a photo, will iPhoto make another copy so the database will have 3 copies of the photo, the original and both revisions?

and the 2nd question, although I don't think I would ever want to do this because it would be way too time consuming, but just for curiosity's sake --

If I dragged a revised photo to the desktop, went back into iPhoto and deleted the photo and then imported the photo from the desktop back into iPhoto, would iPhoto treat the imported photo as an original so there would only be one copy in the database, located in the Master's folder?

thanks

Jul 3, 2011 12:18 AM in response to ksingernc

If I revise my revision of a photo, will iPhoto make another copy so the database will have 3 copies of the photo, the original and both revisions?

No. Just the Master and the current revision.

If I dragged a revised photo to the desktop, went back into iPhoto and deleted the photo and then imported the photo from the desktop back into iPhoto, would iPhoto treat the imported photo as an original so there would only be one copy in the database, located in the Master's folder?

Yes.

But a couple of notes: If you drag the images to the desktop you'll lose a lot of metadata, best to export them.

It's a lot of work, introduces a lot of complexity to the workflow and that's how data gets lost.

but I may do fewer revisions to keep the library size manageable.

Don't worry about the size of the Library. If you're concerned about Disk Space you can run an iPhoto Library from an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

You can also run your iTunes, iMovies and Final Cut Pro X material from external disks.

Regards

TD

Delete orignal after making changes in iPhoto 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.