Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad connected to wireless network but no internet access

Hello,

I've just bought my new iPad 2. iPad connects to wireless network but no internet access.

Apparently it cannot get an IP address (it has got the self-assigned 168..)

I am able to connect to the internet with my iMac, iPod touch and Lenovo laptop.

I already done *all* possible combination of switch on/off, reset of both router & iPad2, the "MAC" trick etc.

I tried both with WAP2 personal and no security

I tried all suggestions which came up from similar posts, but still no luck

Please, any *real* suggestion (please don't suggest "switch off and on" 🙂 ) would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

DEF Dude

iOS 4.4.3, Modem firmware 04.10.01, model MC775AE

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2, iOS 4.4.3, Modem firmware 04.10.01

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 1:28 PM

This site may help you.

14 replies

Jul 2, 2011 2:04 PM in response to Philly_Phan

John Hammer1,

Thanks - good point - I just tried with my network BUT:

- I set it to no security / no firewall

- ipod, iMac and Lenovo all work

Tomorrow I'll try at Starbucks, just in case, after that straight to Apple Store

Philly_Phan, thanks - see above. I appreciate your quick answer! 🙂

DEF Dude

Jul 3, 2011 11:53 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Hello,

I tried at Starbucks and there it worked immediately with no problem.

Mystery, since at home, I have several other devices (iMac, iPod, lenovo laptop), NO wireless security and ALL of them (except iPad) work just fine.

iPad can connect to the network but cannot get IP / connect to internet.

I'm using a WAG200G Linksys modem with no security. Signal very strong (I'm connecting from the same room).

Please, anybody can point to a page where the "optimal" WiFi settings for iOS are listed?

Thanks a lot in advance!! 🙂

DEF Dude

Jul 3, 2011 12:33 PM in response to DEFD

I am having the same problem. I too have other devices that are connected to my network without a problem, but my ipad connects immediately upon waking, but within seconds it disconnects. I am using a Netgear router, WRG614. I have also reset the modem, reset the router. Disengaged firewalls and security. I can connect to retail wireless as well as my neighbor's network. Insanely frustrating. Been happening for weeks, but now it's been 24+ hours without connection. The ipad sees the network, but won't stay connected.

Jul 4, 2011 7:01 PM in response to DEFD

I was having the same proble too. the last thing i did was long on to some random unsecure wireless network & it hasn't worked since. the final answer was to power it down by holding down the power button for a few secs & when i restarted it works. Well i just learned how to do a full reboot, good for me but you didn't want that kind of answer. The second part to my story is that i realized my wireless network would only allow 2 connetions. after the laptop & iphone connected, i got the boot. So i shut down the laptop but for some reason it was not releasing the IP to allow me on, until i rebooted the ipad2. So far it looks like everyone has more than 2 units so shut them down & restart the wireless (release /all), then ipad (only). good luck

Jul 16, 2011 8:15 AM in response to Lafin_Larry

Me too, My iPad2 sees the Airport Extreme Router, I have NO internet Connection and my carrier AT&T is gone. I show a full power wifi signal and NO SERVICE for the AT&T cell signal. This all happened after I turned on CELLULAR DATA then cancelled it. I could not see paying for 3g when I have wifi here. However that's when everything stopped working. I did do a iPad restore through iTunes but that made no difference.

I have two MacBook Pros, Imac, G4, 2 PC's all connected to the internet with no problems. I will be calling APPLE on Monday to take this thing back. What a waste of time and money. This crap is built in China so is the power cord which has already split at the iPad connector. Not a happy camper here!

Jul 31, 2011 1:21 PM in response to DEFD

Hello All,

thanks a lot for the support, in particular Lafin_Larry. I just wanted to close the discussion

It turns out it was the provider's fault.

How I did get to it:

1 - iPad was working with Starbucks etc

2 - iPad was not working at home but iMac, iPhone, iPad and Lenovo were

3 - done ALL the stuff adviced in the forums (including no security, switch on/off, restarts, latest firmware etc etc)

4 - Changed router, still iPad not working, other machines yes

so in the chain provider -> router -> firmware -> router settings -> ipad settings -> ipad

the provider was the likely culprit. It turns out that, even though they don't have a limit on number of machines connected to a network.... they somehow do - fixed!

Thanks again - apple users community rocks! 🙂

DEF Dude

iPad connected to wireless network but no internet access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.