Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up or Syncing iPhone question

I can't re-write all I've written..... but, I don't understand why you have back up and sync, what is the difference between syncing and backing up in iTunes, and should I have backed up before I synced...? Hence all the games are not saved where you left off last time you played them, and does back up save texts, contacts, photos, etc. Or do you have to 'sync' in Itunes. I synced because that's basically what it told me to do when I plugged in the phone, shouldn't it say back-up? Or is it one and the same, and if it does back up, where is it located on the Mac out of interest?

The new software update, 4.3, should it really take 3 hours? That's what it's telling me

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 4:25 PM

10 replies

Jul 2, 2011 5:23 PM in response to gatortribe

Still don't understand what the back up is for if you sync? It says it backs up automatically, but where, I backed up when I plugged in phone again by physically pressing back up, and I still don't get the syncing thing why did it delete all the play in games? Do I press back up every time I sync?

If you back up your phone, it can be restored to how it was.....? Why sync? Also when I update the new software, will it need to be backed up, is it going to erase stuff on the phone, and how do I know it's been backed up, where is the back up?

Jul 2, 2011 6:06 PM in response to the tall

1. The backup backs up your settings and bookmarks, app data, call history, camera roll, location services preferences, mail accounts, texts, and a lot more in the link I provided

2. It should back up every time you sync.

3. What do you mean by "Play in games"

4. Yes, if you back it up you can restore it to how it was (as long as you sync apps automatically)

5. Syncing synchronises your phones apps(if you choose to) with the computers apps, adds music you choose, transfers all purchases so you can reinstall them if you restore the phone

6. When you update, you dont have to update, but its highly recomended you do. It will not erase stuff on the phone.

7. You can view your backups by going to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and there will be a list of back ups.

Jul 4, 2011 4:20 AM in response to gatortribe

Thank you for your replies, If back up backs all that you say in '1', why would I need to tick all the contacts, etc in Sync.

When I synced Apps, it showed syncing, then deleted all of them, when I put them back on the phone, the games I'd got to say level 80+ in, when I put back on phone they were as if I'd just downloaded it for the first time and lost all the levels I'd got to. Basically, you have to start from scratch again...

If the iTunes has no old back ups or syncs, is that why it backed up the sync Apps from new

Re '7', it does show owners iPhone but how do I know it has any data in it, can you view exactly what it has backed up?

And will the new software update 4.3 delete everything on my phone?

After my experience of this synching iTunes I'd rather not do it, if it's going to delete everything it didn't when I synced this the first time?

How do I know it's kept, texts, contacts, apps in game play where left off etc, if I ever have to restore, how can you check, You hear so many people restoring and it wipes their phone clean

Thanks again

Jul 4, 2011 1:46 PM in response to the tall

By tick al the contacts, you mean select "Sync all contacts"? Because a sync synchronizes your computer with your phone. If you have your contacts in you Address Book on your Mac, and add one, syncing all contacts will cause it to add that contact to your phone. Back up backs up your data and preferences, syncing synchronizes your phone with your computer.

When you first select sync apps, you have to check off the ones you want on your phone. It will then sync them over, and should not delete your game data. Selecting sync apps this late into ownership is usually not as good of an idea as syncing apps from day one. It means that say something goes wrong, you can restore your phone, get all your data back from the back up, and the apps will be back on your phone where they were. I don't think it should delete your game data.

You cant view what it has backed up. Rest assured though, it does exactly what it says. You shouldn't worry about it.

Updating your phone will not delete everything off your phone.

Those people with stories about wiped phones did not sync it after the restore, that is why there is nothing on it.

Jul 6, 2011 3:49 AM in response to gatortribe

So, can I rest assure that If I sync now and it wipes, because I pressed 'back up' if anything happens, the very least I can expect to have is my contacts saved by 'back up', Losing game date 80% through a game and taken back to beginning is a pain but not life threatening, but losing contacts would be a nightmare, and plugging in and backing up, not syncing has taken care of that? I Don't keep contacts on the Mac... so not syncing with them

Thanks for your help

Backing up or Syncing iPhone question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.