Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24  Hour Transcode for Compressor?!

Hi everyone...

I am slightly confused here. I edited an HD video recently on FCP. It is approximately 71 minutes long. I sent the entire completed sequence to Color, where it rendered for 35 hours and finally finished. I then sent it back to Final Cut, tweaked a few of the final touch-ups, and sent it to Compressor.

I am using the H.264 6.75 mbps rating that is acclimated for "HD DVD 90 minutes."

This project was submitted in Compressor 9 1/2 hours ago, and the video hasn't even started the first pass of encoding yet. It is still transcoding, with the finishing estimation time at 24... er... make that 25 hours (and counting).

Should this really be taking this long? The batch monitor states that the project is 64% complete. After encoding the .ac3 audio, it stated that it was 60% complete, therefore it had climbed 4% via transcoding in a lengthy 9 hours.

Any help would be quite appreciated. I haven't seen this kind of compression time from videos similar in length and content in the past. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

I am using FCP7, Color 1.5 and Compressor 3.5.

Thanks,

Josh

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 8:26 PM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2011 8:54 PM in response to CannedWalrus

Your Sequence Settings are (click anywhere on the timeline and type Command + 0 {zero} and report what the settings are or post a screen shot)?

You original source footage is (click on a clip icon in the browser and type Command + 9, and report what the properties pane says or post a screen shot)?

Also, just checking, but you really want to make an HD-DVD, which is a discontinued format?

MtD

Jul 4, 2011 2:28 PM in response to CannedWalrus

Are you using a cluster? If so, try cancelling and going to your system properties: qmaster and turning sharing off and then on. I've had a lot of problems using clusters when sending from within fcp to compressor. The following works consistently for me.

You might try exporting the sequence using file:export: quicktime movie(not quicktime conversion) with current settings and then bringing that file into compressor. Then I would try and compress a short section of the file setting an in and out in the preview window and see how long that takes.

24  Hour Transcode for Compressor?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.