Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop/OSX Server

Just to summarise. I want to make my Macs, (I manage four in three locations), fully accessible from the outside world but not sure what path to take to do it. It looks like ARD would be a good choice, (especially at its current price on the Mac App Store) and possibly Snow Leopard or even Lion Server when it's released.

Can anybody point out whether I'm best to use OSX Server or ARD and simple reasons as to why.

Mac number 1. On its own in location 1.

Macs 2 and 3. In location 2 with attached Time capsule storage and multiple internal drives and all on same network. As is often three iOS devices and one Windoze PC.

Mac number 4. On its own in locations 3.

I'd like access from my iPhone as well as a Mac while on the road if possible.

Any suggestions would be very helpful - thanks?

PowerMac G6 Alu Cinema HD, Mac OS X (10.6), Ctrl, Alt, Del.........AAAaarggghhh!

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 8:20 AM

If all you want is simple secure access to remote Macs ARD would be the way to go. Having an OSX server won't really give you any benefits in this situation. ARD will let you share files, copy and paste, install software, share screens, etc remotely. Right now there are no iOS ARD apps by apple, but you could configure one of the many VNC apps to work with it. You can make lists with ARD of all computers and just click the one you want to connect to. Very easy and the connection is encrypted too.

If you wanted to go the server route I would wait for lion server to use the profile manager, but all of your clients would have to be lion too. This would allow you to configure the machines remotely, but not offer the same access as ARD.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2011 8:20 AM in response to gumsie

If all you want is simple secure access to remote Macs ARD would be the way to go. Having an OSX server won't really give you any benefits in this situation. ARD will let you share files, copy and paste, install software, share screens, etc remotely. Right now there are no iOS ARD apps by apple, but you could configure one of the many VNC apps to work with it. You can make lists with ARD of all computers and just click the one you want to connect to. Very easy and the connection is encrypted too.

If you wanted to go the server route I would wait for lion server to use the profile manager, but all of your clients would have to be lion too. This would allow you to configure the machines remotely, but not offer the same access as ARD.

Apple Remote Desktop/OSX Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.