Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 iMac 2006 32bit

Hi all,

Can I (via Boot Camp), install Windows 7 Home Premium on an iMac 20 inch? (early 2006)

Thereafter I also want to install MS Office 2010 Home and Student edition. Wind XP SP3 cannot install MS Office 2010

iMac details:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.1f5

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

Boot Volume: Mac

Boot Mode: Normal

Boot Camp version 3.0.4 (325)

According to Apple support in South Africa, I can install Win 7, however, according to the following I can't.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

Here's what it says:

Do all Intel-based Macs support Windows 7?

All Intel-based Macintosh computers support Windows 7 using Boot Camp 3.1 except these:

iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)

iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)

iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)

iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)

Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

Thanks

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 3:47 AM

5 replies

Dec 6, 2011 8:21 AM in response to vwykrj

Okay, I asked MS support about this. After reading their reply (which said go check out the Apple support), and then reading Apple's support threads, I attempted to update my first-generation, very first-Intel-based, early 2006 iMac. (20", 2.0 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM)

I had been waiting so all the drivers could catch up and all the issues could be ironed out. I am happy to report that everything went just perfect.

I backed up EVERYTHING. I used Windows Easy Transfer to get all my files and settings moved to the Win 7 platform.

In anticipation of problems, I downloaded all the drivers I could find (sound, display, wireless and ethernet drivers). I also downloaded all the versions of Boot Camp, except version 4.0. I did not need all the various drivers, as Win 7 seemed to recognize everything with the first Boot Camp install (3.0, from my Snow Leopard disk). And then all the Boot Camp updates installed just fine.

The only hiccups I had were getting my Magic Mouse to work. I had to revert back to the 2009-ish driver for the BlueTooth (that did it!). Win 7 was trying to give me a "Generic Bluetooth Driver" so I had to go manually find the Apple Driver. And then I had trouble getting a cranky HP Officejet to work (8500). I've been having that problem with this d**n printer for months and months.

All my other Windows-based programs work just fine. (Office Professional 2007, Garmin programs, Google Chrome, and some mapping programs.)

I love Windows 7 (though I did not dislike Vista). Highest marks to both Microsoft and Apple. It is not hyperbole when I say that this iMac is the best Windows machine I've ever had!

Best of both worlds!!!

Dec 18, 2011 11:13 PM in response to gcrain

Hey there,

I've got an iMac running OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 via Boot Camp. I just updated a bunch of the Apple stuff on Windows -- iTunes, Quicktime, "boot camp" (I assume that meant drivers and such), and whatnot. Now my Magic Mouse won't work in Windows 7. It was fine before, so I assume the update screwed something up. Help? I know nothing of retrieving old drivers and stuff like that.

Dec 19, 2011 7:09 AM in response to fantasticphilman

Hello, fantasticphilman. It sounds like this is what happened to me. I am making the assumption that when you "updated [your] Apple stuff on Windows" that means you installed the latest Bootcamp update. My problem started when I updated to Bootcamp 3.3 in WIndows. It turns out that it was a Bluetooth problem, and not a Magic Mouse problem

Here's what I did to fix it:

-Right click on "My Computer"

-Click on "Properties" (at bottom of drop-down menu)

-On left sidebar click on "Device Manager"

-Device Manager window will open.

(If you don't know much about drivers and stuff like that, this is where they are managed in Windows)

-Click on little right-pointing arrow beside "Bluetooth Radios"

-This should drop-down two Bluetooth Radios: 1) "Generic Bluetooth Adapter, and 2) Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

-Right click on "Generic Bluetooth Adapter"

-Click on "Properties" (at bottom of drop-down menu); this will open the adapter's Properties window

-Click on Driver tab

-Click on "Update Driver" button; the Update Driver Software window will open

-Click on the "Browse my computer for driver software" thingy with green arrow beside it (is this a button, a space, a control? I just don't know)

-Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" thingy with green arrow beside it

-This will open a window that says "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware"

-Uncheck the box ("Show compatible hardware"); this will bring up a big long list of various Bluetooth radio manufacturers)

-Scroll to Apple Inc. (In my case, I had to scroll up)

-Click on Apple Inc.; this will show the Apple Bluetooth adapters

Now, I'm typing this up while in Mac OS on my 2006 iMac (still running like a charm). I'm going through these steps on my laptop (Macbook Pro, running Windows....) so I can type them up here.

Under the "Model" box on the right, the Macbook Pro laptop only shows one (1) "Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth" driver.

When I did this on my iMac, it showed two (2) Apple drivers. They both had dates on them. One of them showed a driver from 2009, and the other showed a driver from 2011.

At first I clicked on the driver from 2011, but continued to have problems. Then I went through this whole process again, clicked on the driver from 2009, and voila!

It just worked!

(Now, please don't quote me on those dates; I'm typing this last part from memory. Once I get back in to Windows on my iMac, I'll confirm.)

It has worked great ever since. I'd love to hear if this works for you.

Dec 19, 2011 7:38 AM in response to gcrain

Hey, fantasticphilman. I just rebooted my iMac into Windows.

I double-checked the drivers for the Bluetooth adapter. The driver I am using is one of two that you will find under the "Select the device driver..." box (and after you uncheck the box and scroll to the Apple drivers).

It will show a driver dated 4/27/2011 (version 4.0.0.1) and a driver dated 11/23/2009 (version 3.1.0.1).

The 4/27/2011 driver is the one I tried first and it didn't work. Then I went back in and changed it to the 11/23/2009 driver and it works great.

I do recall that I had to re-pair the Magic Mouse with my computer, and that took a moment or two, but it now works great.

Hope this helps.

This magic mouse is honestly, the best mouse I ever had.

Feb 29, 2012 4:00 AM in response to vwykrj

I found working solution

All you need it's just delete your Magic Mouse from OS X (System Preferences - Bluetooth)
and reboot to your Boot Camp Windows 7.

After rebooting windows will ask for pairing and woala - it works :))))

That's so ******* simple!!!! I've reinstalled Windows for 3 times! Downloaded all the Boot Camp versions (now run 4.0 from Lion)!!! ))

Windows 7 iMac 2006 32bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.