You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible my SMC chip is faulty?

So, I actually had liquid spillage on my MacBook Pro.

I sent it for repairs, and the diagnosis and repair was to simply replace the top case, because according to them, the LogicBoard was working fine.

However, when it was returned, I started having problems.

When I got it back, first the shut down prompt would pop up randomly and frequently, and if I clicked 'Cancel', it would shut off. Then sometimes, it would turn on, get to the grey loading circle, then shut off abruptly once it got to the blue screen.

My battery is also now showing 'Service Battery', even though prior to this, it was functioning absolutely fine, and coconutBattery shows that it can still hold a charge.

User uploaded file

I have reset the PRAM and SMC, repaired disk permissions and done all maintenance. I have also tried switching to a different user account.

The issue still persists. I have returned it twice to the repair center now (although because I requested it, they removed my hard disk drive and transferred it to another computer so I can use it) and both times they just replaced the top case again.

So, is it possible that the diagnosis wasn't done properly, and there is something wrong with the SMC chip?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 9:09 AM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2011 9:29 AM in response to naivecrimson

naivecrimson wrote:

Are there any other possibilities that I should rule out first, or is this the only plausible explanation?

With a liquid spill, almost anything is possible, which is why many places will not try to repair a spill-damage computer. Given that you found a place which will, they are now responsible for the repair, and I would quickly get the MBP back to them so they can correctly repair it. It seems pretty clear that if the top case was properly installed, it is not the issue, which leaves lots of sensitive circuits below it, most on the logic board.

Jul 3, 2011 9:34 AM in response to tjk

Should I try reinstalling the OS first? Could it be a software issue?
Sorry, just want to try everything possible, because this would be the fourth time I would have to go down for one issue, and I want to make sure I've tried everything I can so I can tell them I did and convince them that they have to look into the logic board, or if possible, ask for a refund of repair fees because of the failed diagnosis.

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2011 9:48 AM in response to naivecrimson

Your logic makes good sense to me. Back up your data (I'd recommend two different HDs, because once you erase the MBP's HD, your data will exist only on the external backups, and only one of these isn't a "backup," it's really the only set of files . . . unless there is a second one), then erase, zero, format and partition the HD, then do just a basic OS installation, no third-party apps and none of your data.

Is it possible my SMC chip is faulty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.