Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto '11 Not Sorting Correctly by Date

After a recent trip where I took about 1400 photos over 24 days, I imported all the photos into iPhoto '11 and merged the events into one big "road trip"event.

Out of all these photos about 8 to 10 have imported with the wrong time stamp (the day's date was OK) and so get sorted out of order in relation to photos taken the same day. Viewing the time stamp in Preview or in GraphicConverter shows no problem with the time stamp in the EXIF data.

Has anyone else noticed such a thing happening? I tried deleting these specific photos from iPhoto and re-importing them back in but they end up our of order again with the wrong time stamp.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 12:23 PM

perhaps you should specify what date: creation date is what you want, not the common modification date. good luck

6 replies

Jul 3, 2011 2:02 PM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

Are they all from the same camera?

If you select one and look at the info window in iPhoto what does it show?

LN

Yes, all from the same camera. With just a few photos randomly out of sort (by photo name, eg.P1040070 coming after P1040081) it is hard to know which one is wrong just by looking at iPhoto. i.e. is P1040070 (times tamped 1:46) moved down in the sort or is P1040081 (time stamped 1:25) moved ahead in the sort.

Fortunately my wife was taking photos with her camera at many of the same locations so I can use her photos (loaded into iPhoto '09 on her own computer) to compare and sort out what is what.

I may have been hasty blaming iPhoto '11 and it may turn out that my camera stamped them incorrectly. I may have mis-spoke when I said the time stamps as viewed in Preview or GraphicConverter showed different values. I can't see that on re-checking.

Jul 3, 2011 2:59 PM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

You can make a smart album for each camera and the use the adjust time and date command to correct the time/date for pictures where the camera was set incorrectly

LN

My wife's photos are on her own computer, but by putting it beside mine and comparing photos taken at similar locations and times, I was able to sort out my own problem photos.

The fault turned out to be with my own camera, NOT with iPhoto '11 as I originally suspected. (Still not sure how my camera just goofed up about 10 photos in a 1 hour period out of 1400 or so).

I adjusted the time for these few in iPhoto and now they appear in the correct order there.

iPhoto '11 Not Sorting Correctly by Date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.