Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt backupd plist files

I'm having problems with Time Machine (it's backing up every interval, even when I have it set to "off") and it looks like some of my /System/Library/LaunchDaemon/com.apple.backupd*.plist files are corrupted. I've done some research and others have said that these files will not be recreated if I delete them, which begs the question of how I can get a default set of plist files for Time Machine. I'm really hoping I don't have to completely reinstall the OS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Nate

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 12:16 PM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2011 3:48 PM in response to Nathan R

Did you use Time Machine Editor or a similar product to alter Time Machine's built-in schedule? If so, that's likely the cause. Those apps alter files that Time Machine doesn't want or expect to be altered, so it's still doing the last thing it was told.

If so, use the same app to set Time Machine back to the defaults (hourly backups, auto backups, backup upon disc connection, etc). If you no longer have the app, reinstall it.

Then you should be able to manage Time Machine from the preferences window.

As a last resort, your best bet will be to reinstall OSX (that doesn't affect anything else), then download and install the "combo" update, per Installing the ''combo'' update and/or Reinstalling OSX.

Corrupt backupd plist files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.