Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software won't update.

My kid's iMac PPC G5 running OSX v. 10.5.8 is running SUPER SLOOOOWWWWW while connected to the internet. I'm trying to do a software update to see if that might help but I get a message saying to run diagnostics as I'm not connected to the internet, yet I am connected. It's just so slow. I've rebooted, unplugged, but still no luck. I'm connected wirelessly, BTW, and all other wireless devices seem to be running fine.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 12:40 PM

2 replies

Jul 4, 2011 8:19 AM in response to bzq

What browser are you running? I've recently (the last month) noticed Safari running REALLY slow after it's been online for a while. In Activity Monitor, I see that its use of CPU has gone from 250MB RAM up to over 1GB. Quitting Safari and relaunching helps dramatically, but after two hours or more, it repeats. (I'm on Safari 4).

You might notice Firefox behaves better for you. Do you find Mail runs normally?

The other issue is that wifi is considerably slower than Ethernet, so if you can hook a cable to the router you might notice an improvement.

Software won't update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.