Skip navigation

Software won't update.

272 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2011 8:19 AM by christopher rigby1 RSS
bzq Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 3, 2011 12:41 PM

My kid's iMac PPC G5 running OSX v. 10.5.8 is running SUPER SLOOOOWWWWW while connected to the internet.  I'm trying to do a software update to see if that might help but I get a message saying to run diagnostics as I'm not connected to the internet, yet I am connected.  It's just so slow.  I've rebooted, unplugged, but still no luck.  I'm connected wirelessly, BTW, and all other wireless devices seem to be running fine.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • MGW Level 7 Level 7 (26,940 points)
    Jul 3, 2011 1:10 PM (in response to bzq)

You are at the limit of updates for the G5, the next OS, Snow Leopard will only run on intel machines.  Try removing unused apps, and clear your browser cache.

th_excellentsig2.png

• christopher rigby1 Level 4 Level 4 (2,070 points)
    Jul 4, 2011 8:19 AM (in response to bzq)

What browser are you running? I've recently (the last month) noticed Safari running REALLY slow after it's been online for a while. In Activity Monitor, I see that its use of CPU has gone from 250MB RAM up to over 1GB. Quitting Safari and relaunching helps dramatically, but after two hours or more, it repeats. (I'm on Safari 4).

You might notice Firefox behaves better for you. Do you find Mail runs normally?

The other issue is that wifi is considerably slower than Ethernet, so if you can hook a cable to the router you might notice an improvement.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.