Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The ipad uses a lot of 3g data when sleeping.

Today I quickly checked a map and then put the ipad to sleep, a couple of hours later when I turned the thing back on it had used up close to 1 gig of data!

How can this be stopped? I don't want to rely on having to manually have to turn cellular data off.

Apart from push notifications I don't expect any data to come through 3g when the ipad is sleeping.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 1:37 PM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2011 1:20 AM in response to K T

Hi and thanks for the response.

Apple refers to sleep mode when using the smart cover.

Powering off is really quite inconvenient as it takes a while to power on again.

Airplane mode certainly works but again, this is a manual step just like turning cellular data on and off is.

To me it seems like Apple has made some rather odd design decisions in this area.

Having the device consuming 1 gig of data in 3 hours while in sleep mode is to me unacceptable.

It looks like the map application was updating while the iPad was in sleep mode.

I may have to learn to live with this flaw unless apple releases a proper fix.

The ipad uses a lot of 3g data when sleeping.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.