Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic trackpad tracking speed changes

My Magic trackpads tracking speed changes to slow when I log off. I have to reset it when I log on.

How do I set the tracking speed to stay put?

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 4:35 PM

1 reply

Jul 30, 2011 12:52 PM in response to Richard Swanson

If you use MagicPrefs, some people believe that causes the Magic Trackpad to default back to slowest tracking speed on restart/relog. Have a look at the Magic Prefs preferences pane for the Trackpad and see if you can change the default tracking speed in that instead of the System Preferences pane.

If you don't use MagicPrefs, there is a fix using Terminal for the same problem with the Magic Mouse, and it may work for the trackpad too. I'm adapting this from Tyler Nicols' post on his blog.

Open a Terminal Window

Enter the following command to see what your current setting is:

defaults read -g com.apple.trackpad.scaling

This will return a numeric value. To speed up (or slow down) your mouse tracking, you can simply change this number accordingly by typing the following command, replacing the “your_trackpad_speed” with a new number such as 5.0. Notice that read has been changed to write:

defaults write -g com.apple.trackpad.scaling your_trackpad_speed

So, for example:

defaults write -g com.apple.trackpad.scaling 5.0

You may need to restart your mac to see the changes take effect.

Let me know if it works for you.

Magic trackpad tracking speed changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.