Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PCI Ethernet for OpenBSD on B&W G3

Title pretty much says it. I'm looking for a second ethernet port to add onto my G3, as I intend to make it a gateway of sorts using OpenBSD.

I've found a list of 'supported devices' at http://openbsd.org/macppc.html#hardware, but i'm not sure how to go about searching for specific models that fall under those specifications and which also fall under those enumerated on http://lowendmac.com/ppc/blue-white-power-mac-g3.html (namely, that the PCI slots seem to require 64-bit/33mhz installations)

I don't really know much about hardware so any ideas/info would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 6:48 PM

7 replies

Jul 5, 2011 2:57 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately despite some time searching I have been unable to find a single card anywhere that matches both specifications. (That is, a card that falls onto the OpenBSD list and also matches the 64bit/33Mhz specification; even the 32bit/66Mhz slot reserved for the video card would be fine, if i'm allowed to use that instead, since I don't need a video card).

I've found many 32 bit cards, but none of them support 66Mhz; and I've found many 32bit/66Mhz or 64bit/33Mhz compatible cards that aren't on the obsd list. Why would the G3 only support a higher-bit rating card considering it's so old? Seems very strange. Should I just disregard these specs and buy a card whose chipset is on the obsd list, or should I disregard the obsd list and find a card that fits the G3 specs?

It seems that you alluded to one of these alternatives in your post, BDAqua, but I'm not sure exactly what you meant. Wouldn't a specifically designed driver be necessary to be installed on OpenBSD for whichever card I get? I.e. if it's not on that list I wouldn't think it would work. But then again I know very little about this so hopefully I am mistaken. Incidentally I wasn't able to find any Realtek NICs that are compatible with the G3 specs as far as I can remember.

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2011 3:31 PM in response to trev_

Ah, I think I see the quandry now, only the one Video card PCI slot is 66MHz...

"*In the default configuration, this model has three open 33 MHz PCI slots and a 66 MHz PCI slot occupied by the graphics card."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_300_bl.html

>Wouldn't a specifically designed driver be necessary to be installed on OpenBSD for whichever card I get?

Only for cards not listed, then I don't think you'd find drivers!

Jul 5, 2011 4:23 PM in response to trev_

Sonnet PCI cards tend to have best support on Macs like Smurf.

The 66MHz slot was nice for Adaptec 39160 that was one of rare few that could take advantage.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html#gigabitethernetpcie

The trick sometimes is knowing what chipset, and vendors like Sonnet sometimes change due to support, availability, etc.

A search here can also help narrow in AccelerateYourMac

Jul 6, 2011 7:15 PM in response to trev_

Thanks to both of you. I assigned the answer points so they'd just be equal.

According to xlr8yourmac, we have

Airnet AEG100 Gigabit Card:

(added 5/4/2007)
" Picked up an Airnet AEG100 gigabit ethernet card at the local pc builder shop for $15.
The card works with Apple's drivers in my Blue and white G3 350 (jumpered to 400). I'm running OS X 10.4.
The card has the Realtek 8169-S32 chipset.
Thanks, Mark"

Upon researching the AEG100 and the 8169-S32 chipset I've come to the conclusion that they are in fact 32-bit. In any case this seems to indicate that I can just get a realtek-based adapter and it will work with the G3, and of couse OpenBSD has the correct drivers. So I'll get risk the $10 or so to try it despite its ostensible incompatibility according to the G3 specs.

PCI Ethernet for OpenBSD on B&W G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.