Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monolingual cut English from my MBP. No way to type in password. Can't reinstall OS X.

The problem is that when the password window comes up, I can't type anything in any language in the password window to get into my system. So far I've tried to boot up a copy of OS X from my Maxstor USB drive & also from a disk I burned from the Maxstor, both times holding down either the C key, the Option key, or the combo Command/Option/Shift/Delete, but nothing has worked. I still either just get to my password window, or with the Option key only held down, I get to a screen with a hard drive icon & an arrow, but if I click on the arrow or icon (either with or without the Option key still held down), it goes to the Apple and my password window. Does anyone know how to restore my OS X or the languages package from an external source or CD/DVD in this situation? If not, when Lion comes out in a week or so, is my Mac likely to even boot up from that if it won't from my copy of OS X? I'm in rural Costa Rica right now, 6 hours away from the nearest Apple help, so any advice given is really appreciated. Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 8:17 PM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2011 8:36 PM in response to VanderVen

Oh sweet lord you really did screw up.

Your going to have to boot into Single User mode and follow these commands to set your password to nothing so you hopefully can press enter and get in.

The Easy Password Reset Way. (no disk required)

1: Reboot the machine holding Command and S keys,you'll boot into single user mode.

2: Type in each command below followed by Enter or Return (you might have to wait a bit)

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

passwd "username"

(where "username" is the users name of the password yourtrying to change)

If you don't know the name of the users then enter

ls /Users/

and you'll see three items: .localized, Shared, and a "username"

When done

exit

or

reboot

That should get you into your machine, but I don't know what's going to happen after that without a language. 😀

Once you have copied off all your data to a another drive, then hold c and boot from the disk that comes with the comptur and reinstall OS X.

If that don't work then your going to have to reformat the drive in Disk Utility then reinstall OS X, all your programs and files from backup.

Jul 5, 2011 2:56 PM in response to ds store

Changing passwords won't help because if I get to the password screen on my MBP, the point is that Monolingual screwed up my ability to type at all, I'm assuming because it erased the English language. I'm surprised I can type in the single user mode! I think my only hope is when Lion comes out to buy a copy here in Costa Rica somewhere & to HOPEFULLY be able to boot from that.

Monolingual cut English from my MBP. No way to type in password. Can't reinstall OS X.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.