Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Player Upgrade for Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion Re: Closed Captioning?

I'm hard-of-hearing and have a Mac Mini 2007 with Mac's DVD Player app.

Unfortunately,Mac's DVD Player frequently doesn't read the closed captioning from my DVDs recorded from a standalone DVD recorder even if I choose to enable captioning from DVD Player's menu.

Any plans to upgrade Lion's DVD Player to handle more formats of closed captioning? It would really help me out.

Thanks!

Mac Mini 2007 Edition, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 10:20 AM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2011 12:43 PM in response to fivekay

I looked at the list of new features in Lion at http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html and didn't see anything specific to the DVD player. Doesn't mean there won't be any changes, anything else we won't know until it's available later this month.

As an alternative, have you tried the free VLC player from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html ?

Apr 29, 2012 5:29 PM in response to fivekay

There are FOUR places where subtitles and captioning are controlled

1. On the features of the DVD programming, usually found in Special Features or in a section called Languages or Subtitles etc.
  2. In the DVD Player Preferences (DVD Player>Preferences>Player) Make sure the box called “Show Closed Captioning” is unchecked = off.
  3. Another place in the DVD Player Preferences (DVD Player>Preferences>DiscSetup) Make sure, “Use Disk Default” is set and not some Language.
  4. Finally, the real problem. On the DVD player control, either the one for full-screen or the other one. There is a button there (looks like a bunch of dashes on the mini controller and like a caption circle on the full-screen controller) and if you click and hold, it will pull out a menu where you can select OFF for subtitles /closed-captioning. Doing it to one will fix the other.

DVD Player Upgrade for Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion Re: Closed Captioning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.