Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition issues on a MBP

Hi there, i have a MBP 2.4 i7 with 4Gb and 320 GB HD, i partitioned the HD to use, nowi have finished and i cant delete the partition i created. It wont even boot to get in to utilities..please help...thanx in advance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4 Gb Ram, 320GB HD, i5

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 2:39 PM

16 replies

Jul 4, 2011 2:42 PM in response to skinnns

Hi s,

1. Boot from install disc (press power button, immediately insert install disc and hold down c key).

2. Select your language.

3. Open Disk Utility from Utilities menu.

4. Select the HD in the left pane (the manufacturer’s name and the HD model number).

5. Click on the Erase tab.

6. Choose the Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

NOTE: if you want to zero the HD (which I always think is a good idea, but does take time), click on Security Options, click the button for Zero Out Data, click OK. The larger the HD, the longer this will take, in some cases several hours.

7. Click on Erase and wait for the entire process to finish.

8. Click the Partition tab.

9. Click on Volume Scheme: and choose the number of partitions (normally just one unless you have other plans).

10. Click on the Options button (located underneath the Volume Scheme pane) and select GUID.

11. Click Apply.

12. Quit Disk Utility and continue with the installation process to install OSX; when finished, repair permissions, run updates (in Apple Menu > Software Update), and repair permissions.

Jul 4, 2011 3:11 PM in response to skinnns

skinnns wrote:

I pressed the power button first, then put disc in, then pressed C...and then nothing. If i try to do it via disk utility, it just says it needs a newer version of OSX..im running 10.6.8

So you can boot normally from the HD?

When you try to boot from the disc, is this the disc which came with your MBP?

Jul 4, 2011 3:17 PM in response to skinnns

skinnns wrote:

tjk, yeah, it boots fine...yep using the discs that came with the MBP..

If it won't boot from the disc that came with your MBP, there's a hardware issue. Does the disc look ok? Are you running the Apple-supplied RAM? Does your optical drive work with other discs?

Jul 4, 2011 3:25 PM in response to skinnns

skinnns wrote:

tjk, all the discs are fine and work in the MBP as well as other discs. yep everything Apple on board..

Then there is a hardware issue. I would make an appointment at the "genius" bar to have them check it out (free). Hopefully your MBP is under a year old so any necessary repair will be covered.

Partition issues on a MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.