Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode Archive; Organizer slow/not responding; pngcrush hogging cpu

Hello, sorry about the rather confusing title, but I tried to get in as much info as possible. 🙂

Problem:

1. I'm trying to archive my app into an ipa file for OTA testing (via TestFlightApp) - so in Xcode, I perform a Project > Archive.

2. After the archive is successful, it opens the Xcode Organizer to create the ipa file.

BUT as soon as Organizer is opened, Xcode becomes VERY slow & essentially unresponsive.

So naturally I open Activity Monitor to see what's going on and there's a process called "pngcrush" using up almost all my cpu (90%+) and causing Xcode process to be intermittently listed as "not responding". I can't seem to do anything in Organizer because it just keeps throwing the spinner/loading cursor.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great!

Thank you!

Xcode-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 7:09 PM

16 replies

Jul 5, 2011 8:41 AM in response to FrankieA

Thanks for your hint, but it does not help.

The problem is not related to one specific target or an individual step in the progress of validating and submitting the app, it is rather the problem that by starting the organizer it is not responsive anymore. Each and every click you want to perform lasts for several seconds and you can see the colored ball spinning.

It is really annoying....

Jul 5, 2011 1:21 PM in response to K T

xnav - thanks for the suggestion, but it doens't help. Same thing happens whether that setting is on/off.

K T - seriously? Apple released such buggy software that the only solution is to revert to an older version? I installed Xcode 4 on top of Xcode 3, which means I now have to uninstall everything, download Xcode 3 (4GB?) and reinstall? No workarounds? And where do I even submit bugs?

Nov 9, 2011 10:40 AM in response to FrankieA

It seems that this is - like a lot of stuff in XCode - not setup to manage any volume.

I have 30 archives of 20 products, none of them older than half a year. Organizer is crouching. This has nothing to do with pngcruash (which runs during building, and a clean build run faster now than opening Organizer with the archive tab open).

Getting out old products after a mere months is not exactly the idea behind archiving projects.

Xcode Archive; Organizer slow/not responding; pngcrush hogging cpu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.