Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) to TV

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I'm too lazy to search. Plus it's a bit of an old topic.

I have a mid 2009 15-inch (unibody) Macbook Pro. I want to connect it to my TV. Because it's one of the older models, the Mini Displayport does not support audio out. Therefore, I need two cables to get a full audio/video connection to my TV.

I found this adapter that brings the audio and video connections to one HDMI cable, but it's over $40, not including the cost of an HDMI cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802 &p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

This would work perfectly for me, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any cheaper options. It would be preferable to have an adapter that just combines the audio and video into one input on my TV, but I'd be open to suggestions that just involve a video out and a separate audio out. The thing that confuses me on that front is what kind of cable I'd be looking for to connect to audio. I know I have to use the 3.5mm out jack from my Macbook, but would it connect to an RCA input or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 9:21 PM

Hi Peter,

Audio out: yes, 3.5mm stereo mini plug to RCA (female and then use RCA cables with male connectors). Note that you also need the proper input on your TV which will accept HDMI or DVI video and have RCA audio on the same input. A work around is to play audio through a sound system.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2011 9:21 PM in response to peter62709

Hi Peter,

Audio out: yes, 3.5mm stereo mini plug to RCA (female and then use RCA cables with male connectors). Note that you also need the proper input on your TV which will accept HDMI or DVI video and have RCA audio on the same input. A work around is to play audio through a sound system.

Jul 5, 2011 12:45 AM in response to peter62709

peter62709 wrote:

The thing that confuses me on that front is what kind of cable I'd be looking for to connect to audio. I know I have to use the 3.5mm out jack from my Macbook, but would it connect to an RCA input or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The TV side depends on where you want the sound to come out. The TV, or something else.

If you want the sound to come out of the TV, find out what type of audio input jack on the back of the TV corresponds to the video input you're plugging the video into. It very well could be RCA.

My TV is next to my stereo system, so I prefer the sound to come out of my nice speakers, so I don't route the MacBook Pro audio to the TV, instead I route it to an audio input on my receiver.

Jul 5, 2011 9:36 AM in response to peter62709

This will work with additional RCA cables of the length you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804 &p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

This will work up to 6' to plug directly into the TV without additional cables; longer cable are also available (I've always been very satisfied with Monoprice):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804 &p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Jul 5, 2011 5:07 PM in response to peter62709

peter62709 wrote:

I checked my TV, and the only audio input that goes with HDMI is RCA. So are there 3.5mm to RCA cables?

There are a lot of ways to do it. tjk showed you some cables (and I shop at Monoprice for dirt-cheap cables too), but sometimes I buy a cable with the same connector on each end, but get an adapter to make the final connection. Like a 3.5" to 3.5" with an RCA adapter on the end. That is sometimes a better option for when you can't find a cable in both the length and the connectors you need.

Dec 29, 2011 9:42 PM in response to Network 23

Thanks for your comments. My situation: When I insert a plug into the headphone jack my macbook Pro, and connect that cable to to my Sony Bravia TV via an HDMI cable, and when I use the TV speakers, I get both audio and video. But I'd like to get my sound system sound. There seem to be many receptacles for the red and white plugs. And i have an audio cable plugged into the headphone jack on the side of my lap top. My difficulty is figuring out where to plug the red and white plugs into the receiver, also a Sony. Can you help? Thanks,

Gary

Dec 29, 2011 11:39 PM in response to Shubert2008

Shubert2008 wrote:

There seem to be many receptacles for the red and white plugs. And i have an audio cable plugged into the headphone jack on the side of my lap top. My difficulty is figuring out where to plug the red and white plugs into the receiver, also a Sony. Can you help?

Your connection on the MacBook Pro side sounds correct. On the TV side, if you want the sound to come out of your sound system, route the red and white audio pair to an unused stereo pair of audio inputs on the back of your receiver, not the TV. Then make sure you switch the receiver to that audio input when watching TV.

On true audio/video receivers that can be used as HD video switchers, each input might be a complete group consisting of an HDMI video input with stereo audio inputs. This is so you can use the receiver to switch between Blu-ray player, DVD player, cable TV, computer input, etc. along with their audio, so you don't have to do any switching at the TV. If you have one of these receivers, then you don't want to plug any computer cables straight into the TV, instead, plug all three cables--video HDMI, audio left, and audio right--to one HDTV input group on the back of the receiver. On such a receiver there will also be an HDMI out that goes from the receiver to the TV.

Oct 19, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Network 23

Is it possible to get DD or DTS signals from my Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) to my AV-Receiver? I have read that the Mid 2009 should have optical audio out through the headphone jack but still, I am not sure as I do not see any red light. Additionally, I use a Henge Dock and they already provided me a cable for the audio out. I guess this only transfers analog audio from the Macbook Pro.

Is there any option of easily get the right audio out from the laptop so it can be used as a multimedia computer to play movies und music in either a stereo or 5.1 surround audiosystem? For the receiver, I am looking at a Denon AVR-X1000.

Oct 21, 2014 10:12 PM in response to peter62709

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLjBcs3BcU

Good old YouTube to the rescue.

RCA sound using speaker plugs? Why?

Open TV settings and route HDMI sound input to your TV's attached speakers.

Another "why": why waste Mac resources. Use hardware to switch hardware. Leave your OS to what is does best...

User uploaded file Play.

Disclaimer: this works on my other computers, but haven't verified past Mountain Lion Mac (all those years ago). This easy solution assumes that your Mac hardware version includes HDMI routing from standard display resources (typically a display card handles HDMI by default) to MacMini/HDMI output. If your Mac has no signal routing, you are wasting your time. You may want to drop by Apple Store's desk or consult Apple Care on this, if your hardware is setup but still no sound. In the end, each device you add to your delivery chain decreases end-sound: so, if you are a picky audiophile, keep messing with those direct RCA jacks. Waste not, want not. Feel the power: Live the Power!

Mar 4, 2015 2:09 PM in response to tjk

connecting MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) to Hisense TV with audio?!?!!?

hello everyone.

if anyone is familar with successfully getting the older macbook pros that dont support audio out to stream and preform digital audio on a TV or has any helpful information that will get me familiar with trying to successfully stream audio and visual. and can PLEASE HELP ME in any way to understand what they know and teach me how to solve my problem id really appreciate it.

i want to connect my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) to my Hisense LED LCD TV, ModelNumber:40H3E and getting digital audio sound from my TV as well as video, but have no clue on how or where to even start to successfully pairing the two and getting sound.

I own a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) this MacBook model doesnt support an HDMI port. My MacBooks model has the Mini Displayport which supports video out but does not support audio out. Can someone help me by telling me exactly which Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with audio will support my model MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and exactly what HDMI wire do i need to buy that will successfully preform digital audio and sadisfying quality visual through TV?

i have NO expierence with the proccess have NO knowledge about any of this or these Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters with audio. i have no idea what kind of adapter and HDMI cord to buy that will give me sound from my tv for my type of macbook. '

im not familar AT ALL with any of this so i hope me giving you my MacBook Pros make and model and my TV's model number will be enough information for someone to help me.

just please give me anything you can on this topic

thank you so much,

Mar 4, 2015 2:10 PM in response to tjk

hello everyone.

if anyone is familar with successfully getting the older macbook pros that dont support audio out to stream and preform digital audio on a TV or has any helpful information that will get me familiar with trying to successfully stream audio and visual. and can PLEASE HELP ME in any way to understand what they know and teach me how to solve my problem id really appreciate it.

i want to connect my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) to my Hisense LED LCD TV, ModelNumber:40H3E and getting digital audio sound from my TV as well as video, but have no clue on how or where to even start to successfully pairing the two and getting sound.

I own a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) this MacBook model doesnt support an HDMI port. My MacBooks model has the Mini Displayport which supports video out but does not support audio out. Can someone help me by telling me exactly which Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with audio will support my model MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and exactly what HDMI wire do i need to buy that will successfully preform digital audio and sadisfying quality visual through TV?

i have NO expierence with the proccess have NO knowledge about any of this or these Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters with audio. i have no idea what kind of adapter and HDMI cord to buy that will give me sound from my tv for my type of macbook. '

im not familar AT ALL with any of this so i hope me giving you my MacBook Pros make and model and my TV's model number will be enough information for someone to help me.

thank you so much,

Mar 4, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Network 23

hello everyone.

thank you so much,

Mar 4, 2015 2:12 PM in response to peter62709

hello everyone.

thank you so much,

Connecting Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.