7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 2:22 PM by Thomas Mac Man
GolaniMac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

May I use a Partitioned external HHD for my Time Machine Back ups?; in other words I have a 2TB Firewire 800 external HHD that I want to partition 1TB for "Time Machine" and make another Partition 1TB for Media <iMovie events & FCPX Projects, etc> .

Would this be possible.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,490 points)

That should work fine.  Just be sure that the Time Machine partition is 2-3x the size of the data that you're backing up, which would imply that the amount of data on the Mac that you plan to back up doesn't exceed 500GB.

• 2. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    LowFlyer1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I, too, was thinking of doing this, so I appreciate WB's response. I wonder if I could extend the question:

- I'm thinking of converting my WD 1TB to Time Machine use.  Right now my iPhoto library is on there. So first I'd have to move it, as I'm told Time Machine has to be exclusive user of a drive (or in this case, a partition). 

-So, I'm thinking of buying a dual drive 2TB drive( 1TB +1TB). WB has one, but the reviews haven't been so good, talk of data loss- which I've experienced with my 1TB unit (I now have iPhoto events with no pictures in them).  I've been looking at the LaCie, but info is sketchy, and finding support is not easy either.

-What I'd REALLY like to do is buy the LaCie, or similar, partition each 1TB drive in half, put photos from my PC on one half and back that up, then format the other partition on each drive for the MAC and put my iPhoto library on one, to be backed up on the other.  This and the WB above would be networked.

Whew!  Is all that doable?

Does anyone have any experience with LaCie drives?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    Michael Staubes Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I would NOT use LaCie; choose a more reliable drive. The repair services they offer are not first class. They offered to repair my drive "starting at 99$." Notice the format of the currency; certainly not talking to a US citizen and "starting at 99$" is meaningless. In other words, they could charge anything to fix the drive. Then they said they would recover the data for $300. Give me a break, LaCie. No, don't do business with them. Go to their website and check their prices. They are third-world when it comes to integrity and service after the sale.

• 4. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    GolaniMac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have been using OWC:Macsales Products for 10 years.

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

I keep coming back, because of their superior Products, and Customer Service, and their Know-How. "No, I am not associated with them, just a satisfied customer.

• 5. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    arthurfromberkeley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a related question: Can Time Machine run a backup from one external drive to another (drives 1 and 2)? If so, another question: Can Time Machine also at the same time backup my internal hard drive to another external drive (drive 3)?

Here's my situation: my iPhoto libraries are on Drive 1. I'd like to use Time Machine to back them up on Drive 2. At the same time, I'd like Time Maching to continue backing up my Mac's internal drive (with no iPhoto libraries) to Drive 3.

Can I do this?

• 6. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,490 points)

You can find information on Time Machine in Time Machine FAQ.  See particularly item #2.  I believe that Time Machine can only be configured to write to one drive at a time.

• 7. Re: Partitions for Time Machine
    Thomas Mac Man Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I am also trying to do something simular.  I want realicate some of my internal HD for other things and have used a 1.5 tb HD for timemachine.  Can I copy my time machine files to a different HD,  re-partition my external HD then move my timemachine file back and use the smaller partition for my iphoto library.   Will time machine then also back up my Iphoto library that is on my newly partitioned External HD?  Am I asking to much of the external HD or timemachine?  I'm trying to keep from buying an additional external HD and creating addtional unnessary hadware.