Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you find the Ipad a useful business device?

After 15 months with the original Ipad I have fired it as a useful business device.

Yes, it can give me my personal as well as professional emails while on the road and it does handle attachments well as they are very readable (something a BB can never do).

But other than that it can't keep up with my contacts or calendar with the demise of MobileMe. It is not really useful for production answering of emails due to the difficulty of typing on the virtual keyboard. It really isn't a very useful browsing device without flash or java support.

It can provide me with a handy Kindle reader. It can show me movies on long plane flights so long as I can stand the glare from the glossy screen. It does have some interesting fun apps, but none really useful for business purposes. So it does have some compelling possibilities as an entertainment device.

It can't do the things a ultraportable can do...print, calculate, produce, synch with calendar and contacts. So I have made the personal choice to downgrade it to a leisure time device and likely pass it to a child.

Now I do hear of many of my colleagues being provided Ipads by their enterprise, so for those just starting out, please share the things that you find the Ipad does well for you during the business day.

Perry

iPad, iOS 4.3.1

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 11:36 AM

7 replies

Jul 5, 2011 12:11 PM in response to williamfromdel mar

Forgive me, but since you've apparently already made up your mind that the iPad doesn't work for you, why are you asking for other comments? If you want help in working around what you perceive as shortcomings, by all means ask for help and I'm sure people can offer suggestions (I disagree completely with your statement that the iPad can't do things that an "ultraportable", whatever that might be, can do), but otherwise, I don't see that this thread serves any real purpose.

Regards.

Jul 5, 2011 12:15 PM in response to williamfromdel mar

Totally Disagree!

I have numerous clients using iPads for business, when partnered with a real business communications system (think Exchange) they are excellent, contacts, calendars, tasks and mail operate as well as they do on a laptop. A remote desktop connector can give you immediate access to your office system and sugarsync/dropbox et al when allied to Numbers & Pages provides a decent subset of MS Office features. What doesn't work on yours?

Jul 5, 2011 2:01 PM in response to williamfromdel mar

But other than that it can't keep up with my contacts or calendar with the demise of MobileMe.

I never had MM. I would argue about how much "business oriented" MM was anyway. I connect to an Exchange server for business stuff with additional syncing to Yahoo & Google (mail, calendar and contacts for both) as additional "insurance" against any one service "going away."

It is not really useful for production answering of emails due to the difficulty of typing on the virtual keyboard.

Bluetooth keyboard? I have the Zaggmate because it's a "case" for the iPad. If I typed more, I'd just get a normal BT keyboard since the "case" type iPad keyboards are little smaller than normal keys. But still I type a lot on the Zaggmate, more so than the onscreen keyboard.

It really isn't a very useful browsing device without flash or java support.

Debatable. In general, I avoided Flash & Java sites even on my desktop PC & Macs so not having them accessible on the iPad is fine with me. The only Java site I use is LogMeIn, so I had to get the LogMeIn app for the iPad. Many vendors have produced apps to "compensate" for the inability of the iPad to access their websites, which is a good thing overall since the apps often are easier to use than the websites.

It can't do the things a ultraportable can do...print,

You obviously haven't looked hard enough since HP does make Airprint capable printers, in addition to the other apps you can run on a Mac to share it's printer.

calculate,

??? iWork (Numbers) and all the other spreadsheet apps, as well as word processing an banking apps. Again, it sounds like you haven't attempted to look for an app.

synch with calendar and contacts.

iTunes already syncs with Outlook on a PC, and iCal & Addressbook on the Mac. And as I said previously, I sync my iPad to Exchange, Yahoo and Google.

So I have made the personal choice to downgrade it to a leisure time device and likely pass it to a child.

That is your decision.

Now I do hear of many of my colleagues being provided Ipads by their enterprise, so for those just starting out, please share the things that you find the Ipad does well for you during the business day.

Now, if you really do want to hear what business I do with my iPad, (and haven't already locked your opinion,) then in addition to Email, (light editing of Word documents and Excel spreadsheets sent as attachments) the biggest thing I do with my iPad, business-wise, is remote control of client's computers. Through VPNs, VNC, RDP & LogMeIn to my client's offices, I can take trouble calls as necessary on my iPad. Since I have an iPad with 3G, I can be (almost) anywhere and still provide "direct" support for my clients. I also RDP to my workstation at the office for anything that the iPad can't handle. (i.e.: Access databases.)

One could argue that I could do the same with an ultraportable. Yes, and I can also do the same with my Macbook Pro and my Win7 desktop. What I've done is to configure my work in such a way as to not be tied to any one device or vendor. I've made my business workflow fit within the limitations of the iPad, just like I would have done with an ultraportable notebook. I had used Windows Mobile devices for many years before using an iPad and could even do VNC and RDP with WM. The limitations of WM were the "training" for me when I got the iPad. The epiphany was when I realized to NOT use the iPad as a "normal computer" but to treat it like a large screen Windows Mobile device. (Large screen iPhone for the Mac-only people. 😉 ) After that, much of my initial frustration with the iPad went away and I realized how much more I could do when I stopped using the "just like how I do on my desktop PC" mindset.

In my case, I've gotten a lot in the cloud, but didn't rely on just one cloud provider. IOW, instead of just using MM, I use Yahoo, Google and a private Exchange server as redundant cloud services. I've already gone through the pain of HD failure, which had an unknown backup device failure, so had to re-enter everything from scratch. Thus the multiple cloud services.

So iPad is not a useful business devices? Nope. It fits perfectly well in my business. While it may not be a perfect fit for all business', it's like any other device and so one size does not fit all. (e.g.: that 18-wheeler can't fit in my parking deck so it's not a good "business device." 😝 )

Sep 6, 2011 11:44 PM in response to williamfromdel mar

interestingly enough, I think the IPAD realized I no longer loved it and the wifi radio quit working so it will no longer connect wirelessly. Also I terminated my ATT 3G acct a couple of months ago as I realized how spotty their service was coupled with my lessened use of the IPAD.

Not only did the wifi radio die, the software on the machine went a bit crazy requiring a hard reset at the local Apple store here in Waikiki. Kudos to them, they were incredibly helpful, and spent several hours with me resetting the software with their magic devices but alas still no wifi so no usable IPAD. And as it is older than 12 months no go on warranty.

So the machine got mad at me and went away. For those that do have a device die and still want to keep one they do have a 50% trade in value on old broken IPADs towards a new one. So if I had valued the device I could have gotten another one for $450.

Luckily I brought a real computer with me on this business trip so very little inconvenience results.

Perry

Do you find the Ipad a useful business device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.