Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to network a G4 with 10.5 server?

Hello,

Quick question - I have a Apple X Serve running 10.5 server - I am trying to network this to a G4 running Panther, is this possible? Everytime I try to login with a network account it does not recognize it - I checked and I have the ethernet plugged in correctly - and it is fed to the G4 by a Netgear GS724T switch - which is fed by the actual X Serve itself - Are these just not compatible or is it possible to network any computer to the X Serve???

Thanks for reading this...

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.6), I run a computer lab at a college

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:31 PM

Did you bind the client to the server so that it knows to authenticate against network accounts?

Just having the client and server on the same LAN is not sufficient - you need to tell the client where it can find authentication data (other than its own local database).

It's been a while since I've used Panther, but there should be an application in /Applications/Utilities called Directory Assistant or Directory Admin or some such. Use this and add your server to the list of directory services (it's currently either blank or just contains the local database). Once you do this you should be able to login using any local or network account.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Kroope

Did you bind the client to the server so that it knows to authenticate against network accounts?

Just having the client and server on the same LAN is not sufficient - you need to tell the client where it can find authentication data (other than its own local database).

It's been a while since I've used Panther, but there should be an application in /Applications/Utilities called Directory Assistant or Directory Admin or some such. Use this and add your server to the list of directory services (it's currently either blank or just contains the local database). Once you do this you should be able to login using any local or network account.

Jul 6, 2011 7:22 AM in response to Camelot

I used the directory utility that is on Panther but it would not connect with the X Serve like it does with leopard or snow leopard. I guess i will try opening that utility again and searching around to see if there is something I missed but I have been working with directory utility for a while now. Maybe its just too old...thanks again!

Is it possible to network a G4 with 10.5 server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.