Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto 11 Previews Folder. How come I have pictures in the Previews folder?

How come I have pictures in the Previews Folder when in fact I have not modified any pictures? It is also weird that when I view those pictures in Iphoto, the "revert to original" is lit and can be clicked. But when I do, nothing happens and remains lit. The other pictures that are not in the Previews folder do not have the "revert to original" lit and can not be click until I modified the picture, which makes sense.

Also, when using faces in the library, does Iphoto makes copies or duplicate your pictures or is it just a different view, kinda like how the album works when you create an album?

How do most of you guys sort your photos? For me, I have them on the Pictures folder. I then import only some folders to Iphoto, not all of them. And when I connect my digital camera, I do not use Iphoto to import the pics because I want a solid copy outside of Iphoto first. I don't know if that makes sense. I just got my macbook pro and Its my first time using a mac. Just want to know what others do. Thanks.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 1:01 AM

Pictures in the Preview Folder that have not been edited:

Usual reason:

Your camera has an Auto-Rotate feature. However, the camera does not actually rotate any pixels in the file, but instead flags it with an instruction: "Display me this way". Apps that integrate with iPhoto - Web browsers, Mail apps, Word processors etc - don't understand these tags, so iPhoto, seeing the flag, reads the intention and creates a modified version. If it didn't then the pic would turn out sideways in these other apps.

. If you then try to Revert to Original, iPhoto will remove the edited version. However, when it then looks at the Original file again, it sees the flag, and creates a new rotated version. This loop will run as long as you Revert to the Original. The solution is to either a: turn off the Auto-Rotate feature on your camera or b: rotate the photos prior to importing them to iPhoto.

Faces - like Albums, references the photos in the Library. It does not duplicate.

Most people use iPhoto in the default setting - let the app copy the files to the Library package.

Your current scheme doesn't make a lot of sense:

1. You're using double the disk space - your copy outside of iPhoto and the one inside

2. Only importing some photos makes as much sense as only using Address Book for some addresses. Why not use it for all? What it actually means is that you're managing your photos with two apps - the Finder and iPhoto. Isn't it more simple to just use one - the one specifically designed for the job?

3. I've no idea what "a solid copy" is, but it's not even a back up unless it's on another Disk.

You sound like someone who doesn't quite trust iPhoto and so you're being cautious. Quite sensible. Until you understand the app and feel comfortable with it then by all means take your time. iPhoto is not the right app for everybody and may not be right for you.

If you have any questions by all means post again

Regards

TD

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2011 1:01 AM in response to SGT500

Pictures in the Preview Folder that have not been edited:

Usual reason:

Your camera has an Auto-Rotate feature. However, the camera does not actually rotate any pixels in the file, but instead flags it with an instruction: "Display me this way". Apps that integrate with iPhoto - Web browsers, Mail apps, Word processors etc - don't understand these tags, so iPhoto, seeing the flag, reads the intention and creates a modified version. If it didn't then the pic would turn out sideways in these other apps.

. If you then try to Revert to Original, iPhoto will remove the edited version. However, when it then looks at the Original file again, it sees the flag, and creates a new rotated version. This loop will run as long as you Revert to the Original. The solution is to either a: turn off the Auto-Rotate feature on your camera or b: rotate the photos prior to importing them to iPhoto.

Faces - like Albums, references the photos in the Library. It does not duplicate.

Most people use iPhoto in the default setting - let the app copy the files to the Library package.

1. You're using double the disk space - your copy outside of iPhoto and the one inside

2. Only importing some photos makes as much sense as only using Address Book for some addresses. Why not use it for all? What it actually means is that you're managing your photos with two apps - the Finder and iPhoto. Isn't it more simple to just use one - the one specifically designed for the job?

3. I've no idea what "a solid copy" is, but it's not even a back up unless it's on another Disk.

You sound like someone who doesn't quite trust iPhoto and so you're being cautious. Quite sensible. Until you understand the app and feel comfortable with it then by all means take your time. iPhoto is not the right app for everybody and may not be right for you.

Regards

TD

Jul 6, 2011 1:34 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, thanks for your quick response. Exactly the answers I needed and more. I had the feeling that the pictures that were on the previews folder had something to do with them being taken sideways. The sideway shots were the only ones on there. I just need a confirmation. I didn't want to assume.

Terence Devlin wrote:

Regards

TD

Everything you said here is 100% right. Yes, I know I'm duplicating my photos by using the Finder and Iphoto to manage my photos. I do not know what the heck I meant by a solid copy either lol so let me just try to explain. In PC, I have folders which are albums. When I want to copy an album to a flash drive, I just open "my pictures" and right click the folder I want and copy and paste the album. Now If i just use Iphoto, I can not find the album in the "masters" folder. The pictures are all scattered. This frightens me. The only place they are organized are in Iphoto. What if I have to transfer them to a new PC and not a mac? Then the pictures are all scattered.

You are right that I do not completely trust Iphoto. But its funny because I trust Itunes with my music and I know Iphoto is so similar with regards to keeping the files. Maybe because I've been using Itunes with a PC. Like I said earlier, I'm still learning to use Mac. This is my 4th day of bonding with this computer. So right now I'm very cautious lol.

Jul 6, 2011 3:06 AM in response to SGT500

In PC, I have folders which are albums. When I want to copy an album to a flash drive, I just open "my pictures" and right click the folder I want and copy and paste the album. Now If i just use Iphoto, I can not find the album in the "masters" folder. The pictures are all scattered. This frightens me.

No need to be frightened.

You Export from iPhoto. You can choose to export Events or Albums, as you prefer. You can choose to export the Original photo or the edited versions (or indeed both) with or without the metadata that you have added.

If you're migrating to a new system then apps like iPhoto2Disk or PhotoShare will help you export to a Folder tree matching your Events.

So, the fact that the files are "scattered" isn't an issue.

The key is that you do everything in the iPhoto Window and iPhoto tracks the relationship between the iPhoto Window and the actual files.

Regards

TD

Jul 6, 2011 1:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

When I use export in Iphoto, I am asked if I want small, medium, or large photos. What if I want the original size? What size do I pick?

Terence Devlin wrote:

You Export from iPhoto. You can choose to export Events or Albums, as you prefer. You can choose to export the Original photo or the edited versions (or indeed both) with or without the metadata that you have added.

If you're migrating to a new system then apps like iPhoto2Disk or PhotoShare will help you export to a Folder tree matching your Events.

So, the fact that the files are "scattered" isn't an issue.

The key is that you do everything in the iPhoto Window and iPhoto tracks the relationship between the iPhoto Window and the actual files.

Regards

TD

Sounds like its a big problem if Iphoto can't be accessed or if it crashed. Okay what if I crashed or accidentally ruined the mac beyond repair but I have saved a copy of the pictures to an external hard drive as an Iphoto Library from using Time Machine. What if the only computer I have to access the external hard drive is a PC. How will I see the pictures organized like in Iphoto when accessing them with a PC? Because from what I've seen, they are all scattered in Masters folder. I guess thats my main concern is to why I still make folders in "Pictures". Because when I use Time Machine to back up, I can see and access the folders in the external hard drive with a PC or Mac. If it was just the iphoto library, I will need another mac with Iphoto to access the organized pictures. Please let me know if I am understanding this right.

Jul 6, 2011 1:46 PM in response to SGT500

When I use export in Iphoto, I am asked if I want small, medium, or large photos. What if I want the original size? What size do I pick?

None of them. At the Kind dropdown you pick Original

User uploaded file

That will get the Original file that you imported.

The only protection against corruption is back up. But really, how remote are you? How far from the nearest mac? Personally, I have multuple back ups, one made by Time Machine, three made by other apps. Two back ups are stored in my house, one in my car and one across town. And then I have my photos only backed up online.

But then, I have two Macs at my house and almost all my relatives and many of my friends use them. If you're the only Mac user you know you may have a point.

Regards

TD

Nov 11, 2011 12:17 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hello, i have the same problem, and in fact, my camera is set to Auto-rotate on both, PC and Camera. Now i noticed that i have a lot of 2010 photoes that can be restored to original and a lot of 2011, that have the 'restore to original' disabled, but all of these photoes have the Master and Modified versions. Maybe the latest version of iPhoto have a different way to auto-rotate.

Now i wish to get rid of the files in the Preview folder. I tried to move the folders inside to another folder outside of the library. Reopened iPhoto but the iPhoto menu still says that there are 2 versions: Master and modified. If i click on modified, it just opens finder because iPhoto can't locate the file.

Do i need to rebuild the library? At the moment i moved the folders back to Previews.

Please give me an advice about how to remove the Previews and keeping Masters only. My previews folder is 3gb and 20gb of masters.

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2011 2:07 PM in response to svkrzn

Please give me an advice about how to remove the Previews and keeping Masters only

Very simply: You can't do that. End of story.

Don't change anything in the iPhoto Library Folder via the Finder or any other application. iPhoto depends on the structure as well as the contents of this folder. Moving things, renaming things,, deleting them or otherwise making changes will prevent iPhoto from working and could even cause you to damage or lose your photos.

Regards

TD

Nov 11, 2011 2:32 PM in response to svkrzn

Then either turn off Auto-Rotate on your camera, rotate the images before importing to iPhoto or don't use iphoto. Really, if you're concerned about disk space then forget about photography. It takes a lot of space, especially if you want to work losslessly. iPhoto creates no extra files, nothing unnecessary. They're all needed for the app to run

Regards

TD

Nov 11, 2011 2:40 PM in response to Yer_Man

Well, if i disable auto-rotate on my camera, iPhoto will import vertical shot pthotos horizontally. If i rotate them in iPhoto, i'll still have duplicates. The same photo with 2 different rotations. So tell me if it's not a wast of space? Or you keep your photos on your HD all horizontally and tilt your head to the left each time you see one vertically shot? If you shot only vertically and you have 20gb of these photos, you'd need to have 40gb because you have to rotate all of them horizontally. Don't you?

But maybe i found the solution: Importing the whole library to Aperture, keep modified and delete the masters, then re-import them back ti iPhoto and this way i'll have only masters.

Nov 11, 2011 3:12 PM in response to svkrzn

if you're concerned about disk space then forget about photography. It takes a lot of space,

Keeping the digital negative and working losslessly is a great investment in disk storage for me

And in any case it is the way iPhpoto works so your choce is to use it the way it is or to use something else - we are just users like yourself and can telll you how it works based on our study and experiance but can not change anything

My iPhoto library is nearly 120 GB and growing

LN

Nov 12, 2011 12:04 AM in response to svkrzn

But maybe i found the solution: Importing the whole library to Aperture, keep modified and delete the masters, then re-import them back ti iPhoto and this way i'll have only masters.

So, explain again why you use iPhoto or Aperture? You want a destructive workflow but use - not one but two apps that work specifically against what you want? Why on earth would you do that? Why not just use Aperture?

Iphoto 11 Previews Folder. How come I have pictures in the Previews folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.