Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defrag Time Machine Back Up Drive??

User uploaded file

getwellroad

User uploaded fileLevel 1 (0 points)
Jul 6, 2011 9:50 AM

i previously posted this question, but I mistakenly clicked my own comment as the correct answer. i think this makes the thread appear to be finished; so, because i'm still not completely sure what to do, i have attempted to copy and paste the discussion here:Sorry.

Just got Prosoft drive genius 3 software, and it's telling me that the external hard drive that i am using for my time machine back up drive needs to be defragmented. is it wise to do this or should i not??

User uploaded file

Grant Bennet-AlderWest of Boston, USAUser uploaded fileLevel 7 (27,805 points)

If your backups take a few seconds longer, so what. I say leave it alone.Beige G3, G4/867, G4/dual 1.25 MDD, MacPro'09 w cheap SSD, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, and 9.2, 10.5 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter L

User uploaded file

The hatterUser uploaded fileLevel 8 (42,475 points)

Let's hope a couple things: that you have bootable clones of your drives also; that the backup drive for TimeMachine has over 3x capacity of the data you plan and are storing. I would also switch TM backup drives so you have a 2nd.Fragmented free space affecting performance happens when the drive is too full which may mean there isn't enough free space for a full backup set.1.5TB for backing up 500GB, while WD Green 3TB is $140 and WD Black 1.5TB is, about the same price.I'd be worried about the integrity and directory, and whether you can afford to lose that drive. Defragging is also a very slow operation. the ideal: to just clone a drive, or start over with another drive and wait. cloning TM volumes has not been done or has it? SuperDuper hoped to but I don't think they or Bombich's CCC made it there.Trouble with highly fragged is when free space gets to 20% normally, 1/3 or so though for TM volumes, and finding where and a chunk of space for the file being written. Does TM use large spare image files of like 2GB?Best would be to ask in the TimeMachine section Snow Leopardhttps://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.6_snow_leopard?view= discussions#/?tagSet=1009where there are some good FAQ and tutorials, and people that know the ins-and-outs and shortcomings.

getwellroad

my boot drive is my internal hardrive which is a 250 GB drive. The drive i am using for TM is 500GB, but you are saying that is really too small. TM, as i understand it, creates a copy of everything, and then subsequent backups record any changes that were made since the last backup. and what do you mean "bootable clones" and do you mean for my internal hard drive AND each of the 3 external hard drives that i have? i'm using one of the three for backup using TM, and i am storing movie files on the other 2. i work at a church, and we use many short films that we purchase online. i then import that file into iMovie to give my volunteers a consistent second and a half of black before the clip and 4 seconds of black at the end of the clip. This provides smoother transitions, i've found, than trying to use most of the clips in their original form. i then have been filing these away in folders on the other 2 hard drives. Regarding the TM drive. Drive Genius is telling me that "the used space on the volume 02 [that's the name of the drive] is 25% fragmented (59.14% of total space).

btw, Time Machine keeps:hourly backups for the past 24 hoursdaily backups for the past monthweekly backups for all previous monthsand the oldest backups are deleted when your disk becomes full.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB external driv

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB external driv

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 8:55 AM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2011 12:36 PM in response to getwellroad

"Just got Prosoft drive genius 3 software, and it's telling me that the external hard drive that i am using for my time machine back up drive needs to be defragmented. is it wise to do this or should i not?"

In my opinion it's nonsense. The more third party utilities you play with the faster your OS will get mucked up.

Jul 6, 2011 5:17 PM in response to getwellroad

1st) A fragmented drive is not evil. It will not hurt anything. At worse it might slow down reading a file. However, as has been pointed out by others in this thread, who cares as this is a backup device, not a device you are going to be reading a lot.

2nd) The time you spend defragmenting the drive will far exceed the time you will save when writing new data to the drive.

3rd) Defragmentation will just increase your energy consumption, as all the reading/writing needed to move the files around in order to defragment it, will cause the drive to consume more energy than if it was just sitting idle waiting for the next hourly Time Machine backup.

4th) Defragmentation (if done frequently) may shorten the life of your drive. Not mentioned in "3rd" above is that the extra energy used translates into heat, plus you are moving the read/write heads back and forth all of which affect the drives mechanical and electrical components.

NOTE: There are situations where having a defragmented drive is useful, but mostly it has to do with needing to stream media at a high rate of speed, and fragmented files can affect that. However, a backup drive being used for incremental Time Machine backups is not in that category, and most home Mac usage does not need a defragmented file system either.

Apr 28, 2012 1:03 PM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

2nd) The time you spend defragmenting the drive will far exceed the time you will save when writing new data to the drive.

3rd) Defragmentation will just increase your energy consumption, as all the reading/writing needed to move the files around in order to defragment it, will cause the drive to consume more energy than if it was just sitting idle waiting for the next hourly Time Machine backup.

what if i will use the time like a backup and share internet, but hte backup i will acces only onece every 3 month, and i need to find the information as fast as posible ....

put in other way ...

not acces every day the info , but when i need it , i need it fast ....

or its better not defrag the time machine ?

Defrag Time Machine Back Up Drive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.