Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer has stopped printing

My printer ( EPSON Photo Stylus RX650) suddenly stopped working, believe it may coincide with a system update currently using Mac OS X Ver 10.6.8 on MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,3 laptop). I connected the printer USB to windows 7 laptop and the printer worked as normal. Am new to Mac and would be very grateful for some help and a resolution......

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 5:46 PM

There has been at least one other poster with a problem with the Epson RX650. They solved their problem by downgrading the Epson printer drivers. Epson printer drivers v2.7 were released shortly before 10.6.8 was released. It is likely that both updates were installed at the same time.

To revert back to the Epson v2.6 drivers--

1. Delete your printer from the Print & Fax preference pane.

2. Delete the EPSON folder in the /Library/Printers folder.

3. Delete the EPSON folder in the /Library/Caches folder.

4. Download and install Epson v2.6 printer drivers from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL900

5. Add your printer again. It will use the v2.6 drivers and you should be able to print.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2011 5:46 PM in response to labadugh

There has been at least one other poster with a problem with the Epson RX650. They solved their problem by downgrading the Epson printer drivers. Epson printer drivers v2.7 were released shortly before 10.6.8 was released. It is likely that both updates were installed at the same time.

To revert back to the Epson v2.6 drivers--

1. Delete your printer from the Print & Fax preference pane.

2. Delete the EPSON folder in the /Library/Printers folder.

3. Delete the EPSON folder in the /Library/Caches folder.

4. Download and install Epson v2.6 printer drivers from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL900

5. Add your printer again. It will use the v2.6 drivers and you should be able to print.

Jul 6, 2011 7:47 PM in response to Matt Broughton

Matt,

Thank You so much for your reply. I managed to get onto Apple Support again and after >30 mins of instructions that did not work, I asked for issue to be escalated and was transferred to a senior supervisor. Who advised that there "is an issue" with Epson RX650 Drivers and we went through the process of deleting etc (which I was hopelessly trying to write down all the steps etc - unsuccessfully) which is why you detailed steps are so helpful. She advised there was a workaround solution which was as follows:

We downloaded from Epson Support

http://www.epson.com.au/products/multifunctional/stylusphotorx650_specs.asp

via

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/message.asp

and select the MAC OS 10.5 option and the Printer Driver v 3.09aE and go through the steps to load this driver, which seems to have worked.

Thank You again for your help.

Jul 7, 2011 4:31 AM in response to Matt Broughton

Matt, Your advice looks really good; I've had a similar issue with my RX640 Epson.

After trying your fix, and the problem I have is after the EPSON folders were deleted and I downloaded the old driver, I got this message when I added my printer on the list-

"Some of the software for the printer is missing. You may not be able to print to “EPSON SP RX640 Series.” Please reinstall the printer’s software"

After the driver download, there is no replacemnet EPSON folder on my hard drive. Is that the problem? Any ideas?

In advance, thanks for your input.

Jul 7, 2011 5:53 AM in response to BigToneJack

BigToneJack wrote:

After the driver download, there is no replacemnet EPSON folder on my hard drive. Is that the problem? Any ideas?

After you downloaded the Epson v2.6 drivers, did you run the installer? There is a difference between using Software Update and manually downloading software. Software Update willl automatically install the software. When you manually download software from -- including the Apple site -- you need to manually run the installer on the disk image.

Aug 16, 2011 1:32 PM in response to Matt Broughton

Thanks a lot, Matt !!

This is the only one solution for the printing problem with my Epson RX640.

I have spent hours during different days surfing looking for a solution and installing and reinstalling printer, drivers, ... restarting the iMac, and many other recipies...

Until I found your reply !! It solved my printer problem connected through USB and then I moved to Airport Express and it keep working without any probleme.

Thanks again

Printer has stopped printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.