Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticker Removal

I want to place a sticker on the top of my macbook pro, right above the apple logo. Unfortunately i feel like i might want it off in the future. How would I get the glue off of the aluminum without affecting the finish?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 10:52 PM

For cleaning up the residue left behind, acetone works really well, and doesn't damage aluminum (in fact cleans it quite well). Acetone is usually in nail polish remover, just make sure to get the kind that has it. 🙂

9 replies

Nov 24, 2017 11:56 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:

Timely advice to a 6 year old thread 😉, but the the advice from Apple for cleaning their products remains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

dpb1 is wrong you should NEVER use action on apple products i leand that the hard way by putting it on a chrome book witch is not made by apple but that still taught me a valuable lesson not to put action on electronics

Jul 6, 2011 5:20 PM in response to destructomon3000

Best way is too use a very damp cloth to soak the sticker of it's paper without letting water run into the machine.

Some stickers have a plastic film that you need to gently scratch to let the water in and release the paper from the glue.

Once the paper is all off, then you need to remove the glue.

There is concentrated orange acid adhesive remover that is used for removing glue for wood floors, works excellently on removing the sticker residue and it smells great too.

rub it all over the machine when your done to clean, not the screen or you will really be sorry!, then dry off with paper towels

In fact at a large apartment complex I lived at I made a tiny profit removing "violation" stickers the association would place on people's windshields when they parked in the wrong spots. 😉

Aug 30, 2017 7:58 AM in response to dpb1

dpb1 wrote:

For cleaning up the residue left behind, acetone works really well, and doesn't damage aluminum (in fact cleans it quite well). Acetone is usually in nail polish remover, just make sure to get the kind that has it. 🙂

While nail polish remover contains acetone, it also contains other chemicals including moisturizers. So it isn't a good choice for anything other than removing nail polish. Acetone is also toxic and absorbed through the skin, so it shouldn't be used straight without protection. And Apple recommends against using any solvents, as IdrisSeabright has pointed out.

Jul 6, 2011 5:30 PM in response to ds store

I'd be reluctant to use soaking wet cloths and adhesive remover on that area, though... that would be assuming the seam between the aluminum case and the plastic logo is water-tight. Have you actually tried such liquids for cleaning that area?

If the goal is to cover the Apple logo for some reason (like they often do on TV), the OP should look for a sticker that is designed to be easily removable without leaving adhesive behind. Otherwise, if he has to use and later remove a truly "sticky" sticker, your advice is probably the best anyone will be able to find, but still potentially dangerous in my eyes!

Sticker Removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.