Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete non-Apple software: Parallels, Windows XP, WordPerfect, Canvas, etc.

I finally have enough good software in my MacBook Pro so I don't need the hassle of going through Parallels to Window, then to Windows-based programs.

But I would like to make sure as much as possible that I have truly blown these things out once and for all.

Would really appreciate help on this.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 4:34 PM

5 replies

Jul 6, 2011 5:03 PM in response to cafox513

Well it seems to me the safest way and perhaps the fastest is just to wipe and reinstall OS X and the programs you want.

This method will wipe the entire drive, Windows partition and all. Nothing will be recovered.

1: remove any files you want to save to a external drive, (copy the entire iTunes folder like it is) disconnect other drives/hardware.

2: hold c and boot off the disk that comes with the computer (this has the free iLife software on it)

3: second screen in will be a Utilities menu, select Disk Utility

4: select your drive, with the funny drive name of the manufacturer,

5: click Erase > Format HFS+ Journal (GUID partition) and Security option > Zero All Data. (name the drive the same as the previous one)

6: Wait about a hour or so until finished, then quit, your in the Installer, install OS X.

7: reboot and your back into the setup, use the same user name as before (if your upgrading OS X to a newer version do it next)

8: once into OS X make sure to name the boot drive the same name as the previous drive (or do it in Disk Utility when you format it)

9: Use Software update and fully update, then install your programs, then finally your files from backup.

10: since you used the same drive name and user name as before, and replaced your new iTunes folder with the old one, when you start iTunes your music and playlists will be preserved. (no exclamation points that it can't find the songs)

11: extra step: clone this pristine new drive to another HFS+Journaled external drive with OS X cloning software, it will then be hold option bootable

Jul 6, 2011 5:09 PM in response to cafox513

Reinstalling the entire system from scratch, as ds store recommends, is way too extreme. Perhaps if you had installed Boot Camp and thus needed to repartition your drive that would be a good idea, but with Parallels, I believe all you have to do is run the uninstaller. The entire Windows environment is contained within a virtual disk file, so there's nothing special involved in deleting that, and the uninstaller should be able to remove all the components of Parallels. For help with uninstalling, especially if you can't get the uninstaller to work for you, see:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/6904

how do i delete non-Apple software: Parallels, Windows XP, WordPerfect, Canvas, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.