Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX update soon, but…

If it's true that some updates will cost money Apple will be betraying early FPCX buyers.

Notes from Apple’s Pro briefing on Final Cut Pro X in London

Looks like Apple’s softly softly actions to keep professionals onside are continuing.

Sam Johnson(of AMV LAB) was invited, amongst others, to an Apple briefing on Final Cut Pro X.

Here are is what Sam tweeted after the briefing. Follow him on Twitter where he posts as @aPostEngineer

1. FCP XML in/out is coming via 3rd party soon…no FCP 6/7 support project support coming ever it seems…

2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…

3. FCPX EDL import/export coming soon…

4. FCPX AJA plugins coming soon for tape capture and layback…capture straight into FCPX bins.

5. XSAN support for FCPX coming in the next few weeks…

6. FCPX Broadcast video output via #Blackmagic &@AJAVideo coming soon…

7. Additional codec support for FCPX via 3rd Parties coming soon…

8. Customizable sequence TC in FCPX for master exports coming soon…

9. Some FCPX updates will be free some will cost…

He went on to answer some questions:

conigs Do they have any kind of timeframe for “soon”? Am I safe in guessing in 2011?

aPostEngineer within a few weeks for some updates i.e. XSAN up to a few months for 3rd party developers to get their heads around the API.

gigarafa what about the rest of the suite? Color, dvd studio etc?

aPostEngineer they have unfortunately reached their EOL and will not be developed any more..

They said that taking FCP7 off the shelf was the most complained thing… (Answering a message from @NMRUK)

Peter Wiggins of Idustrial Revolution was also there, so I imagine we’ll get an update at his fcp.co site soon.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 5:41 PM

13 replies

Jul 6, 2011 7:58 PM in response to LeoHans

1 Half-good news, if an FCP6 or 7 xml will work, if not the 2nd half will be enough on its own to alienate long-term users.

2 Totally sensible, guard your disks...

3 Downstream grading again!

4 Mmm... VTRXchange is such a weird workaround.

5 Vital for those who use it (we don't)

6 Better be better than "Desktop preview" or bye bye...

7 Like RED? For money? Hey, who'd do RED in FCP X anyway, without native colourspace...

8 Duh yeah... how did that get left out?

9 Better not cost too much... FCP/Motion/Compressor/Duck is already getting up there... MC5.5 is looking like good value again.

Jul 6, 2011 9:35 PM in response to LeoHans

Is there going to be a new DVD authoring app to replace DVD SP?

If Apple hasn't noticed, their computers play DVDs. PCs play DVDs and BD. Every Best Buy and every major retailer sells DVDs and BDs.

If you count computers and DVD players, hundreds of millions of people around the world have the ability to play DVDs.

The storage of content on a DVD or BD is more reliable than anything on any hard drive.

And how about Blu-ray? As I've mentioned before, there is no other product on the market that delivers higher quality video to consumers. What other product is there to burn an authored 20-plus GB HD project? There is none. Blu-ray looks awesome. Nothing on the app store can match it... not even close.

Jul 6, 2011 10:45 PM in response to cjd1234

cjd1234 wrote:

They don't believe it's dead. They're just doing everying possible to kill it. There's a distinction.

They want to control delivery and distribution of music and video.

This is exactly correct... some devs were informed of this a while back, basically you are being forced to the "icloud". I'm pretty sure the next Mac hardware will ship without drives...

pancenter-

Jul 6, 2011 11:59 PM in response to Pancenter

This is exactly correct... some devs were informed of this a while back, basically you are being forced to the "icloud". I'm pretty sure the next Mac hardware will ship without drives...

pancenter-

So mac will kill the videostar? Or will the videostar kill the mac?

Because i make a lot off video registrations of theater and duplicate them to dvd for the children how are playing.

And if i not been able to make dvd's with fcpx, and the next generation of mac will not be able to make discs because there is no drive on board. I am forced to go back to the pc.

Multicam was a big issue, or the lack of it? When does this come. And why must i pay more for a app that is not ready yet?

Jul 11, 2011 1:16 PM in response to RodAllen

RodAllen wrote:

I'm sorry but my copy of FCP X has export to DVD and export to Blu Ray built right in (I think they might be disguised in a touchy feely 'sharing' menu ...)

Rod

Rod, I didn't say it was dead yet, just that Apple is trying to kill it as quickly as possible.... I'm 99.9% sure Apple machines (besides the "Air") will start shipping without CD/DVD drives sooner rather than later.

As it it stands now the type of disk FCP X creates is the most basic format. Useable, yes.. but not what you would call DVD authoring.

pancenter-

Jul 11, 2011 1:57 PM in response to LeoHans

LeoHans wrote:

You can always buy an external device if you want to.

I don't like the idea of having legacy things in my computer. I don't want 90s floppy drives 😉

And if a floppy helped you make a living, I bet you would have one then.

Thing is, it's not just the hardware that's being eliminated, Apple is pushing the cloud, which may be fine for consumer/prosumer use but not something you want to rely on at a professional level.

Not ready to put all my eggs in the Apple basket, although that may be fine for some. Personally I'm not too fond of obeying without questioning.

pancenter-

Jul 11, 2011 2:06 PM in response to Pancenter

If you are making your living with DVD recorder it's because you already have one. If you need a brand new one, you can buy it from any DVD recorder manufacturer. (Actually, Apple never manufactured DVD recorders).

The only one Apple computer doesn't have DVD recorder today is the Macbook Air. So, there is no reason to speculate about that, but yes, sooner o later DVD will dead, as cassette did, as floppy did, as VHS did.

I make my living on editing. FCPX doesn't changed anything for me. I still work with FCP7 as I did before. I know how to edit in Avid and in Premiere, and now in FPCX.

I am training myself all of the time. That's my biggest investment, to always be learning as much as I can. Instead of waisting hours and hours blaming Apple, I started to learn FPCX with Ripple Training first, and now with Larry Jordan's tutorials.

FCPX update soon, but…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.