Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport amnesia every morning

I have a 2010 27 iMac connected to the world via ethernet.

I have a 2009 24 iMac connected to the world via Airport via the 27 iMac.

The two computers communicate with each other via Airport.

The two computers also have file sharing.

Every morning, both computers wake up with amnesia. They search and come up with no network.

(or I think, each computer tries to create a new one).

The solution, as given by a nice techie, is to turn off Airport off, and then back on, on each computer.

This works, but something is still amiss.

What is the long-term solution?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 8:33 PM

Try another channel, if you live in a suburban setting you are probably competing with neighbors for the same channel. If you use an Airport Extreme, Airport Express or Time Capsule use Airport Utilities. If you use another brand of router then look in the manual on how to change the channel. You can also download iStumbler to see what channel you are on and what channel your neighbors use. Then it's a simple matter of switching to a channel that isn't being used.

Roger

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2011 8:33 PM in response to sirgunther

Try another channel, if you live in a suburban setting you are probably competing with neighbors for the same channel. If you use an Airport Extreme, Airport Express or Time Capsule use Airport Utilities. If you use another brand of router then look in the manual on how to change the channel. You can also download iStumbler to see what channel you are on and what channel your neighbors use. Then it's a simple matter of switching to a channel that isn't being used.

Roger

Jul 6, 2011 10:13 PM in response to sirgunther

A router is a device that is most commonly used for connecting multiple computers to the Internet. The connection can be wireless or using ethernet cable. A router connects between the modem (that box your ISP provided) and the computer or possibly even printer if you have a network printer.

Regarding what Airport is I will let Apple define it, open Dictionary on your computer and type in the word Airport and click the Apple tab to find the definition. If you cannot find your Dictionary you can find it by Command + Spacebar and type Dictionary.

Airport amnesia every morning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.