Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you hide pictures?

I would like to hide some pictures in my aperture library. How can I do this?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 3:46 AM

5 replies

Jul 7, 2011 5:17 AM in response to huubfrombreda

There's no provision in Aperture to hide images in any secure way.

You can reject pictures or flag them or set a color label and then set the browser to not show those pictures but anyone could just change the browser filter and those images would be seen.

I'm guessing what you're looking for is the ability to make images not viewable by someone viewing your library without your consent. The best you could do is to place the images you want to hide in a separate library.

Jul 7, 2011 8:54 PM in response to huubfrombreda

The best you could do is to place the images you want to hide in a separate library.

If you want to hide this secret, separate library completely, give it a name that starts with a dot, like ".secret.aplibrary", Aperture will warn you that the name should not start with a dot. Just ignore the warning and proceed. However, since you will not be able to see this library in the Finder, you can only open it from the Terminal.

Lets assume, you have a secret Library located in your Pictures Folder.

Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal

type:

cd Pictures

open -a Aperture .secret.aplibrary

Then you can admire your secret pictures. To switch back to your regular library use the menu File > switch to library

and when you are back to your standard library click

File > clear menu

to all traces.

To see your hidden files listed in the terminal window, just type "ls -a".

To rename the secret library, use the "mv"-command:

mv .secret.aplibrary nolongersecret.aplibrary

Make sure you remember the exact name and path to your secret library - spotlight wan't show it,

perhaps you could create an innocent looking alias to your secret file, while the file is still visible and before you hide it.

Jul 7, 2011 9:00 PM in response to huubfrombreda

You can reject pictures or flag them or set a color label and then set the browser to not show those pictures but anyone could just change the browser filter and those images would be seen.

One more suggestion: If you just want to cover some images that you don't want to show while you are browsing just stack them behind images that you want to keep visible.

Can you hide pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.