Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport constantly looking for a Network

Airport is connected to the strongest available network (full scale). Every 5 seconds it stops and is "looking for networks".

How can I tell it to quit that and be happy with the nice strong (but slow) network I selected???

mac book pro and iPad4.2, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Parallels and XP

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 7:22 AM

22 replies

Jul 7, 2011 8:29 AM in response to ds store

Did not help at all. It persists in searching for other networks when it has a perfectly good one in hand.

All of these networks are NOT on the list I just emptied, except for the one it is using, the best one available.

Furthermore I wasn't paying attention and re-booted, failing to remember I had just spent 10 hours sending data to Mozy. Now I have to start that all over!! My Bad!!

Problem not solved. 😢

Jul 7, 2011 2:34 PM in response to chims

My understanding is that the machine only looks for new networks when you have the network app open.

Close the app and right click the wireless icon on the top bar and you should hopefully see that it is not looking for new networks.

So just to clarify, you only know it is "looking for new networks" when you have the network app open.

I hope that makes sense.

Jerry

Jul 7, 2011 3:07 PM in response to Slammer99uk

I think the I problem is NOT with my Mac. The same 5 second hunt habit occurs with my iPad also. I tried it with all 3 circuits available to me with the same results. These circuits operate from the same central system with antennas scattered about the campground.

Something is not right with their system, me thinks. I need to hunt down some camper with a PC and see if he can demonstrate the same 5 second hunt feature.

Thanks to one and all for putting your brains on the problem. If I am wrong, I may be back. .

Jul 7, 2011 3:17 PM in response to chims

What kind of router do you have? There is a set interval that the router beacons (broadcasts) its SSID. Go into your router's settings and see if you can increase the beacon interval. You can do this on some routers. There are other settings on some routers that can be tweaked but without knowing what router you have, kinda hard to tell what those are.

I just noticed that you say that you are on campus, well nevermind what I just told you. Goodluck getting them to tweak their Wireless LAN.

Jul 7, 2011 3:27 PM in response to ch0b1ts2600

Thanks for the info. I now know what kind of question to ask the IT person in charge of the system, assuming there is such a person!!

It could be our afternoon thunderstorms may have upset things too. It is Monsoon Season here and we are indeed getting rain. I will boogie over to the office in the morning when the sun is shining and ask.

Jul 7, 2011 6:11 PM in response to Slammer99uk

The Nerwork App is NOT open. I click on the fan shaped signal strength icon at the top right of the screen. It says, Air Port is ON. Then the little gear runs and it lists all the available hotspots. Every 5 seconds that little gear runs again showing sometimes a slightly different list of hotspots. When I close that little window, I still get delays every 5 seconds as it hunts some more. The iPad does the same thing.

I just don,t get it.

Oct 13, 2011 5:46 PM in response to chims

I have 2 macbook pro's running 10.6.8 that keep looking for network every 10 seconds even though they are connected to my wireless network with full signal strength. While it is searching it drops my connectivity briefIy. I have 2 more Imacs running 10.5.8 that do not do this. Downloaded and installed the OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 which did not resolve the issue. Disabled the ask to join network and still have the same issue. Anyone resolve this issue with 10.6.8?

Airport constantly looking for a Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.