Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash video not loading after update

Since updating last night, Flash is broken in Safari. All Flash videso show as a blank black box now.

I have re-installed Flash from an Adobe download. I have rebooted (twice). Nothing is working.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 8:44 AM

13 replies

Jul 7, 2011 9:34 AM in response to Nina Tovish

Please open the folder "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins" and compare its contents with the list below. Is there anything in there that's not on the list?

Flash Player.plugin

JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin

JavaPluginCocoa.bundle

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

Also, select Help > Installed Plug-Ins from the menu bar in Safari. Does Flash appear in the list of installed plugins? It should look like this:

Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”.
MIME TypeDescriptionExtensions
application/x-shockwave-flashShockwave Flashswf
application/futuresplashFutureSplash Playerspl

Jul 7, 2011 10:06 AM in response to Linc Davis

@ Linc Davis

The plug-in is installed as shown.

As for the library files, I have those you indicate, and a few others:

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

Silverlight.plugin

These have been in my system all along.

I don't think the problem is plug-in related. I think it's a problem with the recent Java update. I tried repairing permissions and received (among other Java-related notices):

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

It also seems that, contrary to my first impression, the ONLY videos affected are those from YouTube.

UPDATE: Apparently the 3rd time repairing permissions was the charm. It feels like voodoo, but I can't come up with any other explanation, because nothing else changed. YouTube videos now working.

Jan 5, 2012 3:16 PM in response to Nina Tovish

For the benefit of others, who like me, still saw a blank Flash Screen (either all white or all black) in Safari 5.1.2, FireFox 9.0.1, and even Chrome 16.0.912.63, despite making sure the latest Flash plug-in was uninstalled and re-installed (multiple times), permissions repaired (multiple times), and Flash settings tweaked (multiple times), I offer this solution. I went to /Users/~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia and dragged the Flash Player folder from there to the Trash. Flash Content then worked in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

Flash video not loading after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.