Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine hangs

This error info. is from the Time Machine widget. I have not been able to get a good back up in months!!

Can anyone help me?

PS... I stopped the back up after it hung, again. That is refected in the last 2 lines... I think.

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/TerraBackUp/Backups.backupdb

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: G-4-2004

Backup content size: 170.4 GB excluded items size: 372 KB for volume G-4-2004

No pre-backup thinning needed: 204.86 GB requested (including padding), 821.33 GB available

Indexing a file failed. Returned -1120 for: /Applications/.localized, /Volumes/TerraBackUp/Backups.backupdb/Intel iMac 250-07 (2)/2011-07-06-154436.inProgress/387AC17B-851E-4963-98AE-39283D84E247/G-4-2004/ Applications/.localized

Aborting backup because indexing of file failed.

Stopping backup.

Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured

Copied 47324 files (108.9 GB) from volume G-4-2004.

Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured

Copy stage failed with error:11

Stopping backupd because the backup volume was ejected!

Backup failed with error: 27

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 9:35 AM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2011 3:44 PM in response to stepoutmag

stepoutmag wrote:

. . .

Indexing a file failed. Returned -1120 for: /Applications/.localized

That's a hidden file in your Applications folder. I have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Exclude it from backups, per the blue box in #C3 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

Time Machine is going to do a large backup (about 170 GB). If you get a similar failure, see the pink box in that same link.

If it does complete normally (it will take a while), then you need to figure out what that file is and what to do about it.

Apr 2, 2012 8:23 PM in response to stepoutmag

I just solved hung time machine on my mac pro running osx 10.7.3 by updating the driver for a LaCie eSeta PCI card.

I am connected to a rugged xl drive that partitioned fine, and i got time machine going,

but too often i had to disconnect the power to stop an endless preparing message.

I didn't know to look at the log... but I should have been suspicous when i saw the drive wouldnt eject right in finder, the desktop links would just go gray.

I found a new and good driver on the card's Original Equipment Manufacturer's site by searching the internet for the string that is in About This Mac / More Info / System Report / PCI Cards: 1095,3132.

Time Machine hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.