2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 8:23 PM by Will Morgan
stepoutmag Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This error info. is from the Time Machine widget. I have not been able to get a good back up in months!!

Can anyone help me?

PS... I stopped the back up after it hung, again. That is refected in the last 2 lines... I think.

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/TerraBackUp/Backups.backupdb

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: G-4-2004

Backup content size: 170.4 GB excluded items size: 372 KB for volume G-4-2004

No pre-backup thinning needed: 204.86 GB requested (including padding), 821.33 GB available

Indexing a file failed. Returned -1120 for: /Applications/.localized, /Volumes/TerraBackUp/Backups.backupdb/Intel iMac 250-07 (2)/2011-07-06-154436.inProgress/387AC17B-851E-4963-98AE-39283D84E247/G-4-2004/ Applications/.localized

Aborting backup because indexing of file failed.

Stopping backup.

Error writing to backup log.  NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured

Copied 47324 files (108.9 GB) from volume G-4-2004.

Error writing to backup log.  NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured

Copy stage failed with error:11

Stopping backupd because the backup volume was ejected!

Backup failed with error: 27

Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

stepoutmag wrote:

. . .

Indexing a file failed. Returned -1120 for: /Applications/.localized

That's a hidden file in your Applications folder.  I have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Exclude it from backups, per the blue box in #C3 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

Time Machine is going to do a large backup (about 170 GB).  If you get a similar failure, see the pink box in that same link.

If it does complete normally (it will take a while), then you need to figure out what that file is and what to do about it.

• Will Morgan Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I just solved hung time machine on my mac pro running osx 10.7.3 by updating the driver for a LaCie eSeta PCI card. 

I am connected to a rugged xl drive that partitioned fine, and i got time machine going,

but too often i had to disconnect the power to  stop an endless preparing message. 

I didn't know to look at the log...  but I should have been suspicous when i saw  the  drive wouldnt eject right  in finder, the  desktop links would just go gray.

I found a new and good driver on the card's Original Equipment Manufacturer's site by searching the internet for the string that is in About This Mac / More Info  / System Report / PCI Cards: 1095,3132.