Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode, System X, X11, Xgrid..how to improve my Mac unconventionally?

Hello:

To anyone who may have knowledge, I am just beginning to get excited about all the X-Tool Software (yes, the darker side of Mac OS software, but for many a very useful branch of tools in times of changing technology. How can the Mac users begin their journey into the X-World line of software, and where does one begin? Of course, the X-Tools can become a handy group when we consider the possibility of persons legitimately wanting to protect their system, yet be able to use it logically in a globally diverse world. Let me take a minute to explain my system, and what I'm wanting to do with the future purchase of X-Tools and who might have some good ideas on some other essential programs to consider together with these...

Here are my specs: I have a 13" Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz processor, 3 MB L2 Cache, and 4 GB Memory. I have been a fairly light computer user the past few years, mainly the normal web browsing, and chatting, not now I am enlightened to do more, and truly be able to harness the power of the Mac OS X system by knowing more about how to use and operate the core components, as well as the non-conventional ones. No, I would never wish to use these tools to hack anyone else, I'm far to kind as a human being, and believe me... have suffered myself from the radical and culturally ideological views that would drive people to wish to obtain the X-Tools. My views are far from this use, not to mention I'm pretty sure Apple as a corporation keeps fairly close tabs on the owner's of any System X advanced software (I have a hunch anyways). What do I want to do with X and how can I totally reformat my computer? I want to use X together with the my platform which I just set up to Apple's Multinational Language OS, allowing you to operate your computer in any language for any country in the world. Not so fast, I smart in this endeavor and shall not be planning to operate my system using Chinese interface anytime soon. One must carefully understand how they can reformat their system to enhance security protocol for themselves, but also with a global network that must think in terms of operating systems and things such as Artificial Intelligence, for example. I am no expert in IT or major computer language, but I really want to set up my OS like this: I want to purchase OS X Lion here in another week, and at that time, I also want to purchase Windows 7, so I actually want to partition my computer, so I can bring items from Windows over to my Mac side, where I could tinker around with them, and vice versa. But here's the long-term goal.... I want to also have up to OS Versions 10 and above, and I also want to have a global OS Server. Why? I wouldn't yet know, but I want to somehow format this massive yet still singular system into a computer based on the language protocols built in, and then have it set up to be used along with other scientific programs participating around the world that study the science of Artificial Intelligence, and could contribute to science in security and stuff just by having my OS running... I don't necessarily have a long-term objective to become a networks security analyst, or a major career path as such (although I'm bright enough I think I could someday).

Anyways, I want to use the X-Tools on the OS side of my partition to be able to perhaps formulate some of my own code down the road to do things like actually creating a password that will no longer be obsolete in 2 weeks, or captured through some malware that we all know goes around out there. And at the same time, could I also set up my system so it's running on this world language model and can all be perfectly integrated to help improve things like RSS feeds that we all know are not beneficial to us in confinement, and could participate in an actual scientific study to improve the known and true study of data expansion in a world of machines communicating together (I will treat my OS as if it could someday help contribute to saving the world or the environment, and how people can communicate better, and how my system have some programs to really participate in expansion, but it pretty much just runs while I operate in friendly communications with other people around the world in this global network that thanks Mac OS X for planning for the future. Can I find programs that communicate better? Can I get friendly RSS feeds that are global in nature? Can I have my system work to my advantage, and can I use X-Tools to help keep my system safe and contributing to larger projects? If I partition, what are the musts to keep in mind? Should I have my X-Tools on a completely separate login? How will my partition be able to communicate, and are there ideas on purposeful uses between Mac OS vs. Windows that will be worthy of exploring? If I want to have a server, could mine run in the background and communicate with other servers while contributing to larger human social and health projects (yeah, like this happening right now, but to get to that level you have to know the protocol, and the steps to begin in your acquisition and participation.

This is my question to you all... How can I better contribute my computing via a partition, a good combo of System X and any other suggestions or must haves...Adobe sytems? Security programs? What can be the ultimate and right combination for my Mac OS X, and how can I use it for something good down the road? Perhaps there are careers requiring persons who do not have information of the greatest in the world, and it takes thorough understanding as a human being as well to be compassionate and friendly, and overall in ways that can utilize programs that filter that towards a better ends. If communication and logic exists, then it exists in humans just as in computers, servers, databases, and global networks. My goal, to begin to find the right programs and the essential programs to continue to educate myself in OS, even when sometimes it takes trial and error. Does Apple support programs that sign you up as part of larger projects in world? How can I make sure that my Kerberos, UNIX, and LDAP and up-to-date, and protecting my system when other software is now needed to protect and organize your portal. Come on guys...anyone do a partition and have stories of the good, bad, and ugly? Anyone want to have more programs that did more? Anyone know some formats I should consider for wanting to increase my OS X capabilities, and what are some organizations that exist who can pay you to participate for carrying out a task or two per day? Help to enlighten me about the future and the possibilities I can have by reformatting and expanding my OS X!

Thanks Mac enthusiasts...I'm sure I will get some excellent suggestions!!!

jed

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Want it all..but need advice!

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:43 AM

jedfromnewton wrote:

allowing you to operate your computer in any language for any country in the world.

That's not quite true. While OS X (using the Edit button) can list well over 100 languages in system prefs/language & text/language, the user interface is only available for 18 of them (22 for Lion). So there is still a lot of work to do before the language needs of all countries are met.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2011 11:43 AM in response to jedfromnewton

jedfromnewton wrote:

allowing you to operate your computer in any language for any country in the world.

That's not quite true. While OS X (using the Edit button) can list well over 100 languages in system prefs/language & text/language, the user interface is only available for 18 of them (22 for Lion). So there is still a lot of work to do before the language needs of all countries are met.

Jul 8, 2011 1:12 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom, I'll have to really check out your site, it looks like there is some good content there. I understand your response, but I'm curious to know more. Do the languages actually act or are integrated with the operating system? Or, is this a total misunderstanding of what they can be used for? Do you know more about the X-Tools and which programs you really, or which work well together? For a beginner level user who knows little about the underneath of Mac OS, do you have any suggestions on how I can start to learn more?

Jul 8, 2011 2:08 PM in response to jedfromnewton

jedfromnewton wrote:

Do the languages actually act or are integrated with the operating system?

The main reasons for having multilingual features in the OS are so a) the user can see all the menus and dialogues on the screen (and have any talking or speech recognition) in his own language, and b) the user can read email and webpages and type and spell-correct, etc. in his own language. Normally reading and typing is available for a much bigger set of languages than anything else.

As for the "X-Tools", I don't know if this term is very useful, as the things you mention in your subject line are not really all that connected.

XCode is Apple's tool for developing applications for its two OS's (OS X and iOS). If you want to get into that, you should probably join the Developer Program:

http://developer.apple.com/

For good basic info on OS X and iOS I would recommend the O'Reilly "Missing Manual" books.

X11 is the graphic user interface for Unix/Linux, which you can run directly on OS X or via a separate Linux install. The latter does not need a partition, as there are various virtual machines the let you run another OS right in OS X. I think most Mac users would use X11 mainly for running certain open-source apps which can sometimes be used to replace standard OS X apps that are very expensive.

Xgrid is a way to connect multiple mac servers for specialized purposes. Most Mac users are not running a server and thus not familiar with this feature.

Jul 8, 2011 2:10 PM in response to jedfromnewton

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as "X-Tools". All of the software you mentioned just happens to have the letter 'X' in the their name. That is a common moniker for any software running on MacOS "X". The same thing happens in iOS where any iPhone or iPad software typically gets an "i" in its name. There is no meaning other than a lack of imagination among the developers when it came to picking a name.

X11 is just an earlier incarnation of the same thing. All of the X11 "X-Tools" (xterm, xclock, xeyes, etc) just happen to have an "x" in their name.

Xcode, System X, X11, Xgrid..how to improve my Mac unconventionally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.