Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to readjust ext HDD partition?

I have a 2T ext HDD. I split it into 510GB for time machine and 1.45 for ext storage, and the rest for windows ext. storage.

Now I got a 750GB new HDD. I wonder how I can adjust the parition so that the time machine portion can increase up to at least 750? coz otherwise the time machine portiong will get full very soon and has to delete older back-up all the time, which is what i don't want to see.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 2:19 PM

8 replies

Jul 7, 2011 8:12 PM in response to strangetml

Ext HDD is in the way of that, obviously.

If it's never been much fuller than it is now, you should be able to split it, per the link above. Then copy the data from it to the new 3rd partition, via the Restore tab, per #7 in the link above.

Then delete the (now smaller) Ext HDD partition, and stretch the Time Machine partition down into some or all of the vacated space.

Jul 12, 2011 3:27 PM in response to strangetml

strangetml wrote:

. . .

this is the problem. i want a bigger ext HDD above 1T (now it's less than that).

As explained in #4 of the link above, you can't move the top of the lower partition up.

Plus, there's too much data to copy it to the same disk.

If you have another HD, copy it there, delete the partition, and create a new one in the vacated space.

If not, you might look at a 3rd-party app, such as iPartition, that may be able to move things around. You can't do that with Disk Utility.

How to readjust ext HDD partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.