Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple images cropped with wrong aspect ration

Hi everyone, my wife has been going through lots of photo's of the kids recently since we upgraded from iPhoto to Aperture, playing with the editing tools and generally having fun. "Don't worry," I told here, you can't break it, and to be fair she hasn't, but a lot of the crops she did was using a non-standard (4 x 3) aspect ratio. I only just noticed this as I was tidying up some recent shots of our son's first school sports day and tried to print some out on our standard 4 x 6 paper - oh no!

Can anyone suggest a way we might auto-correct, or batch correct the ones which have been done already, without having to go through them all manually? Also, not tried yet but is there an easy way to search for photo's with the crop edit applied already, I don't know how many she's done so far...

Thanks for all your help.

James

iMac 27 in 2.8 GHZ i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 5:29 AM

Hi James.

Aperture is "non-destructive", which is boon. It is also a vastly more powerful and less constrained toolset than iPhoto.

You can filter by any applied Adjustment using the Filter Rule "Adjustments" set to " 'includes' 'crop' ". Applied to only those recent Projects, or a subset of your photos filtered by date (use the Calendar Rule), you should be able to lasso the Images you want to correct.

You can further refine this selection by adding the Filter Rule "Aperture Metadata" set to " 'Aspect Ratio' 'is not empty and is not' '3:2' ", or, if you are certain your wife used only the 3:4 aspect ratio, filter for that.

As with any adjustment, you can lift and stamp crop parameters from one Image to other Images. With the Crop Adjustment, this usually results in something unsatisfactory.

One of the nice features of the Crop tool is that it stays active as you change Images in both the Browser and the Viewer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2011 5:29 AM in response to jetset95

Hi James.

Aperture is "non-destructive", which is boon. It is also a vastly more powerful and less constrained toolset than iPhoto.

You can filter by any applied Adjustment using the Filter Rule "Adjustments" set to " 'includes' 'crop' ". Applied to only those recent Projects, or a subset of your photos filtered by date (use the Calendar Rule), you should be able to lasso the Images you want to correct.

You can further refine this selection by adding the Filter Rule "Aperture Metadata" set to " 'Aspect Ratio' 'is not empty and is not' '3:2' ", or, if you are certain your wife used only the 3:4 aspect ratio, filter for that.

As with any adjustment, you can lift and stamp crop parameters from one Image to other Images. With the Crop Adjustment, this usually results in something unsatisfactory.

One of the nice features of the Crop tool is that it stays active as you change Images in both the Browser and the Viewer.

Jul 8, 2011 7:37 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks Kirby, very helpful. I added the search bit to the post at the last minute - I figured I would be able to somehow - but your guidance really helps. As for the lift and stamp I remember reading about this or watching it on an Apple video but never applied it. As soon as I read it the Homer Simpson "doh!" came out. Of course - thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

James

Multiple images cropped with wrong aspect ration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.