Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xcode 3.2.6 installation failed

I have been trying to install xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK onto my iMac for hours (the free version for developers). I click the install button and I get a window that says the following:

The installation failed

The Installer can't locate the data it needs to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again, or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I have downloaded the file off of developer.apple.com 5 different times. I have restarted my computer, checked my internet connection and attempted the install 5 times. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a mid-2010 Intel i7 27 inch iMac with plenty of space on the drive.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK -OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:44 PM

The 6th time was the charm. I solved the problem by running the Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg installer from the .dmg file where it originally lived INSTEAD of dragging it out to another location.

25 replies

Jul 11, 2011 3:53 PM in response to sfutchko

Whoops. I accidentally clicked on the star making it look like your response was a helpful answer. My Bad.

- Download the xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4 from developer.apple.com (if you are a member then you should know where it is.)

- Once the file has finished downloading, drag the ".dmg" file from your downloads folder and onto your desktop.

- Double click the file.

- Once the dmg file has finished uncompressing, it should place an icon onto you desktop.

- The icon is a small drive called "Xcode and iOS SDK." Inside the drive is a PDF and the Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg

- Do not drag the .mpkg file out of the drive. Keep it inside the drive.

- Double click the .mpkg file and follow the instructions.

This should solve your problem.

The developer Folder should be stored onto your HD. If you don't have enough space on your drive this may also be creating the error.

Hope this helps.

Oct 6, 2011 2:40 PM in response to ilia apple

I have a question, is Xcode necessary to install the Code Blocks ? I've been trying Xcode because I got a message in Code Blocks it couldn't see the compiler. Did I get something wrong ? is this the reason I can't run (basically I can't debug and see no black screen ) ? or are they irrelevant?

please make this clear to me . And thanx again, I 'm very glad I found this forum , thanx Apple !

Oct 7, 2011 10:32 AM in response to ilia apple

Are you installing this for Snow Leopard or Lion? If you've downloaded the inccorect version, then xcode will "claim" it installed successfully. This might be why you don't see a shortcut.

When installing xcode it should create a folder called "Developer" located under "MacHD."

MAC HD/ Developer/ Applications/ Xcode.app (this would be your xcode shortcut)

Just drag the xcode.app icon from the applications folder to the dock on your desktop.

Hope this helps. If not, I'm sorry and good luck.

Oct 16, 2011 6:41 AM in response to jthomas83

Hello again, I've got the Snow Leopard and the version is right. Well my mistake was that after installing I was looking for my shortcut into the Applications Folder where the apps are usually stored and couldn't find it. I didn't understand that the shortcut should be at this path. Thank you man, I 'm new in this OS and I'm trying to get used to it.

Apr 3, 2012 4:51 AM in response to Lonewolff

While I don't have the answer to your problem, please be aware that Apple's developer tools are not as robust as the consumer applications.

I wish they would put more effort into fixing the many problems I've encountered while using Xcode but alas, we developers have to just suck it up and live with them.

It's far from ideal, but other than sending Apple the crash logs when Xcode dies and send feedback, there's not a whole lot we can do.

It's not all doom and gloom however, as thousands of developers have created thousands of apps.

xcode 3.2.6 installation failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.