Skip navigation

xcode 3.2.6 installation failed

5270 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 10:49 AM by Kyle McCormack RSS
1 2 Previous Next
jthomas83 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 7, 2011 11:37 PM

I have been trying to install xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK onto my iMac for hours (the free version for developers). I click the install button and I get a window that says the following:

The installation failed

The Installer can't locate the data it needs to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again, or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I have downloaded the file off of developer.apple.com 5 different times. I have restarted my computer, checked my internet connection and attempted the install 5 times. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a mid-2010 Intel i7 27 inch iMac with plenty of space on the drive.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK , Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • sfutchko Calculating status...
    Jul 11, 2011 12:27 PM (in response to jthomas83)

Hi,

I am having this same issue..... Can you please explain your fix?

Thanks again!

• ilia apple Calculating status...
    Oct 6, 2011 2:36 PM (in response to jthomas83)

thanx man!!! I've been trying since yesterday...

• ilia apple Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 6, 2011 2:40 PM (in response to ilia apple)

I have a question, is Xcode necessary to install the Code Blocks ? I've been trying Xcode because I got a message in Code Blocks it couldn't see the compiler. Did I get something wrong ? is this the reason I can't run (basically I can't debug and see no black screen ) ? or are they irrelevant?

please make this clear to me . And thanx again, I 'm very glad I found this forum , thanx Apple !

Oct 7, 2011 2:53 AM (in response to jthomas83)

Ok. So you build and run your C programs in Xcode?

Also, should I run it from the applications? My installation was succesfull , but I can't see any shortcut, just the package and the dmg file . (They're there from the initial tries to install them) .When I click on them they start again the installation process. What am I doing wrong?

Oct 16, 2011 6:41 AM (in response to jthomas83)

Hello again, I've got the Snow Leopard and the version is right. Well my mistake was that after installing I was looking for my shortcut into the Applications Folder where the apps are usually stored and couldn't find it. I didn't understand that the shortcut should be at this path. Thank you man, I 'm new in this OS and I'm trying to get used to it.

• Lonewolff Calculating status...
    Apr 3, 2012 4:17 AM (in response to jthomas83)

I am having the exact same problem. But, following the steps listed above doesn't work for me.

This is very frustrating as I have just purchased a Mac to develop on (coming from a solid Windows background).

I thought Mac's were meant to 'just work'. ??

I am using OSX 10.6.8 and 3.2.6 XCode installer package.

• Michael Superczynski Level 5 Level 5 (7,095 points)
    Apr 3, 2012 4:51 AM (in response to Lonewolff)

While I don't have the answer to your problem, please be aware that Apple's developer tools are not as robust as the consumer applications.

I wish they would put more effort into fixing the many problems I've encountered while using Xcode but alas, we developers have to just suck it up and live with them. 

It's far from ideal, but other than sending Apple the crash logs when Xcode dies and send feedback, there's not a whole lot we can do.

It's not all doom and gloom however, as thousands of developers have created thousands of apps.

• Lonewolff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 3, 2012 5:01 AM (in response to Michael Superczynski)

Hi Michael,

Being new to OSX, is there an alternative platform SDK to XCode?

I am a Windows developer and am a bit disappointed so far, as the Windows SDK's and IDE's install perfectly every time.

I am trying to keep an open mind though. So, any advice on how to get started developing under OSX would be greatly appreciated.

• Michael Superczynski Level 5 Level 5 (7,095 points)
    Apr 3, 2012 5:06 AM (in response to Lonewolff)

There is no alternative that I know of.

Apple's own documentation is the best place to get started:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/navigation/

That link requires a free developer account.

Please be aware that you'll have to purchase a paid account to submit apps to the Mac App Store.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.