Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to send sms with ipad

hi .

i need to send sms or call with my ipad 2 ,my ipad supported 3g and wifi ,but i can't find application for it in store.i 'm find one application for it ,but i should jailbroken my device that i dont love it . please help me for how to solved this problem .

thank's.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 2:00 AM

i need to send sms or call with my ipad 2

The iPad is not a phone - it cannot make calls or send SMS over the mobile phone network.

You can make calls over a data network with VOIP apps such as Skype. There are also websites that allow sending of SMS via the internet.

27 replies

Aug 15, 2011 6:01 AM in response to elafromorlando

The question from elafromorlando is highly relevant. Here is why:

I frequently travel on business and for holidays, and using a 3G network for data roaming is EXTREMELY expensive in many places. The simple solution is to buy a local pre-paid sim card and use it for the duration of the journey. You are many times required to send an SMS to activate the account. The SMS must be sent from the SIM card to be activated, and hence a 3rd party service like AIM is of no use.

In my opinion, this is a severe limitation of the iPad, and one which I had not expected when I bought it.

Oct 23, 2011 11:28 PM in response to elafromorlando

I recently found myself looking for this feature, too. Where I live, prepaid sims offer data promos but would require the subscriber to sign-up for the service via text. Unfortunately, unless Apple decides to view your SMS inbox in the Settings menu, us 3G users would need to use the longer route of having to call the Customer Service hotline.

Aug 5, 2012 12:11 PM in response to espenboch

espenboch wrote:

The question from elafromorlando is highly relevant. Here is why:

I frequently travel on business and for holidays, and using a 3G network for data roaming is EXTREMELY expensive in many places. The simple solution is to buy a local pre-paid sim card and use it for the duration of the journey. You are many times required to send an SMS to activate the account. The SMS must be sent from the SIM card to be activated, and hence a 3rd party service like AIM is of no use.

No, this is not the way how iPad 3 should work.

Carrier is suppose to impletement the carrier update, which should include the account and payment option screen. It should include a special signing-up APN, that user is able to sign up even without an account, for the retail boxes to be sold through any retail channels. With an iPad, the user shouldn't need to send text to top up the account either. For example, on my VWZ iPad, I can manage my account right from my Cellular Settings, change data plan or cancel.

how to send sms with ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.