Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do deleted photos go?

does apple have a copy of them or watever??

iPhone 3G

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 7:06 AM

Photos deleted from the Camera Roll are deleted. There is no trash can as with a computer which requires another step to delete the photos. The big red DELETE button means just that - Delete.

Photos in the Camera Roll are included with your iPhone's backup, which is updated by iTunes as the first step during the iTunes sync process. Photos in the Camera Roll can and should be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera.

If the deleted photos weren't imported by your computer but your iPhone was synced with iTunes since the photos were captured by your iPhone and your iPhone has not been synced with iTunes since the photos were deleted from your iPhone, you can try restoring your iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2011 7:06 AM in response to prettyfromquezon

Photos deleted from the Camera Roll are deleted. There is no trash can as with a computer which requires another step to delete the photos. The big red DELETE button means just that - Delete.

Photos in the Camera Roll are included with your iPhone's backup, which is updated by iTunes as the first step during the iTunes sync process. Photos in the Camera Roll can and should be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera.

If the deleted photos weren't imported by your computer but your iPhone was synced with iTunes since the photos were captured by your iPhone and your iPhone has not been synced with iTunes since the photos were deleted from your iPhone, you can try restoring your iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup.

Jul 16, 2012 4:23 AM in response to tonefox

as with all digital storage, the photos are not destroyed when they are deleted, their address is simply removed, eventualy new data may be stored upon the space the image originaly occupied and then it will have been removed, but untill that happens, with the right tools the photo's can be recovered.

However unless youve been taking photos of a level of inappropriatness that you expect the police to seize your phone and trawl through its data, the photos are as good as gone

Jul 16, 2012 4:36 AM in response to prettyfromquezon

I came here to try and find an easy way to recover a photo i wish i hadnt deleted, using "phoneview" i was able to preview as a thumbnail the photo i deleted, but when i tried to take it from my phone to the computer, it just copied one of the surrounding photos, as its address had been reused by those. Iv no idea if ill be able to recover the full photo, but i do know it is still ther

where do deleted photos go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.