Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usb 3.0 in Macbook pro 2011 13"?

If i want to have an usb 3.0 driver in my new macbook pro core i7, how can i do it?

Does it exist some adapter?

Thanks!!😉

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 8:23 AM

If MacBook Pro 13" had an express card 34 slot, then yes, you would be able to do usb3.0 Since it doesn't have an expresscard, firewire is your next best option.

6 replies

Jul 8, 2011 9:08 AM in response to NunoPortugal

Umm you really can't do that...

Firewire speeds are 800mbps (megabits per second)

USB 2.0 spees are 480mbps (megabits per second)

USB 3.0 speeds are 5gbps (gigabits per second)

Thus it is like trying to shove a football down a garden hose... Plus USB 3.0 is still compatible with USB 2.0... so you'll be able to connect your USB 3 drives to the Mac, they will just run at USB 2.0 speed.

I highly recommend staying with Firewire, it is very fast for archiving pictures, movies, large documents, etc.

Sorry, but your MacBook doesn't have the resources or expansion ports to handle usb 3.0 at this time...

Usb 3.0 in Macbook pro 2011 13"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.