Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White Font in Preview App

Hi there,

for some time now, my Preview doesn't render PDFs correctly.

In many PDFs the main Font is white.

I still can mark, copy and paste the text. It's just rendered white.

So I installed Acrobat Reader to see wether the PDF is broken,

but Acrobat renders the font in black …

Anyone got any Idea?

User uploaded file

Image1: PDF in Preview.

User uploaded file

Image 2: Same PDF in Acrobat Reader

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 9:41 AM

Normal, actually. As Adobe releases new versions of Acrobat, it adds features. So when users create PDF files from these newer versions of Acrobat Pro, Preview has trouble displaying them since it doesn't support the new format. Apple does what it can to make Preview compatible to Adobe's PDF format, but they are forced to always play a game of "catch up". And even then, Apple can't always figure out how to parse the new data.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2011 9:41 AM in response to benthebear

Normal, actually. As Adobe releases new versions of Acrobat, it adds features. So when users create PDF files from these newer versions of Acrobat Pro, Preview has trouble displaying them since it doesn't support the new format. Apple does what it can to make Preview compatible to Adobe's PDF format, but they are forced to always play a game of "catch up". And even then, Apple can't always figure out how to parse the new data.

Jul 8, 2011 10:42 AM in response to benthebear

So it may just be a preference file or font caches. You can clear all of the font cache files on your Mac this way:

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

This removes all font cache files. Both for the system and all user font cache files. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

Mar 6, 2013 4:22 PM in response to ayiti2015

Ick! It's hard to say what's going on there. Many long time Mac users are not at all happy what Apple did to Preview. You could use the Snow Leopard version of Preview in Lion, but not in ML.

I'm a bit confused why you would take your PDF files into Preview when you have Acrobat Pro XI. Is there something you use Preview for that Acrobat can't do? If at all possible, I'd avoid Preview completely.

Mar 6, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I only wanted to stick with Preview because it felt smoother, had a cleaner presentation when reading and researching, and I liked that my sticky notes weren't smack on top of text. Also, Preview seems to use less system resources. I will re-try Skim, but I've also downloaded regular Adobe Reader, which is a bit less clunky. Trick is to see if saving it thru Reader returns the same problem. Thanks for acknowledging the issue!

White Font in Preview App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.