Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unknown error (-50) help

every time i attempt to sync my ipod with itunes i get an error message saying "itunes could not copy song "xxx" to the ipod because an unknown error occurred (-50) Does anyone have a solution? This is driving me absolutely insane😠

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 1:02 AM

8 replies

Aug 26, 2011 9:02 AM in response to SuperFate

I've started to get the same error. At first it was just my iPhone, and I thought it was due to some sort of corruption in my Aperture library because Aperture has begun to run slow and crash lately.

Today I purchased a new iPad and got the same Error (-50) when I attempted to sync. Oddly the device continued to sync even though it said that it could not be synced...

Mar 5, 2012 10:33 PM in response to SuperFate

I had this error when trying to sync using iTunes. The problem turned out to be a lack of space on my iPhone. iTunes is set to sync my entire music library and my phone reached a point where there wasn't enough free space left to sync the recently added music.

I deleted some videos I had recorded using the camera app, unplugged USB and reconnected, and then it synced no problem.

Mar 9, 2012 10:47 PM in response to Taylor Lightfoot

To be of any assistance,

1. Which version of Windows are you running?
  2. Which version of iTunes are you using?
  3. What is your iPod firmware/software version as shown in the iTunes summary page?

Error -50 occurs when iTunes tries to write data to your iPod, but was unsuscessful, due to unknown reason as the message say. Most likely cause the Window Registry for iTunes is corrupted, then the iTunes needs to be re-install. And your iPod firmware need to be updated.

So try this, do a Hard Reset as below

1. After charging till full charge, at least 2 hours (preferably 4 hours)
  2. Toggle the Hold switch, make sure you dont see the red mark when you do the next step
  3. Reset the iPod -> Press Menu and Center button simultaneously for about 10 secs till the Apple Logo comes ON
  4. Then release the buttons
  5. Select your preferred language.

Here is the Apple support Article on the 5Rs

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

Then Re-install your iTunes

Put the iPod in Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363?viewlocale=en_US

Connect the iPod to a High Power USB 2.0 port at the back of your PC, and never use the USB Hub, or any USB port at the front of the PC.

Disconnect all other USB devices, except the mouse and keyboard.

Select the iPod in the Device pane of iTunes, and click Check for Updates

If it says "Software is uptodate", Press Restore just the same, although this will erase your iPod.

After Restore, Sync your iPod

Good Luck!

Feb 20, 2015 10:19 PM in response to SuperFate

I was having this same problem trying to sync music to my old 30gb ipod classic. Unknown error (-50) every time. It was also having problems converting tracks to 128kbps.

I had tried restoring the ipod amongst other things, but what seems to have solved the problem is just using a rear USB port instead of the front. This is on a MacPro tower so I'm a little disappointed with my hardware now, but at least my ipod works.

unknown error (-50) help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.