Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine to back up across multiple disks?

I've run out of space on my Time Machine disk because I have a lot of video stored on my system. (It's a 2TB drive and it's maxed out)

Is there a way to set up to share the Time Machine back up across multiple drives? If not, any recommendations for how to address this issue?

Thanks for any assistance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 9:09 AM

No, Time Machine backups cannot span multiple volumes.

If you're doing a lot of video editing, and a lot of the backup space is taken up by intermediate versions, there are ways to minimize that.

If you just have too much video, your best bet may be to get an additional external HD, and use a different app to back up the video files to it, and exclude them from being backed-up by Time Machine.

Tell us a bit more about your setup -- how many drives/partitions, and how large, is Time Machine backing-up, and how much of that is video?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2011 9:09 AM in response to Curmudgeon Boy

No, Time Machine backups cannot span multiple volumes.

If you're doing a lot of video editing, and a lot of the backup space is taken up by intermediate versions, there are ways to minimize that.

If you just have too much video, your best bet may be to get an additional external HD, and use a different app to back up the video files to it, and exclude them from being backed-up by Time Machine.

Tell us a bit more about your setup -- how many drives/partitions, and how large, is Time Machine backing-up, and how much of that is video?

Jul 9, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the advice Pondini. I have a 1TB system drive, a 1.5TB project/media drive, and I just installed a 3TB project/media drive. So that's where I ran into the insufficient space.

I'm taking you advice and excluding the video projects/media folders from Time Machine. I just installed LaCie Backup Manager, and am using that to separately back up the media and FCP projects.

Many thanks for the help!

Time Machine to back up across multiple disks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.