Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Batch save Mail messages as PDF's

I am in need of saving all of my email messages in my inbox as individual PDF documents. I know you can do it one at a time via "Print>save as PDF" but we are talking about a few hundred email messages here.

Is there anyway to take advantage of something like automator or could someone show me some software to batch save all of these messages?

Thanks so much for the help.

-Christian

Apple Mail-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 12:50 PM

23 replies

Dec 25, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Lexiepex

What do you mean by "read all emails in"? The problem is I can't get my messages out of Mail and into Preview in the first place. There is no way to drag and drop messages from Mail into an empty Preview window and when I try to select all messages and then go File > Print > PDF, Mail produces a PDF of the first email but then crashes saying "Error while printing".

Sep 12, 2011 8:50 PM in response to radio50

radio50 wrote:

I'd like to save a whole set of email messages into one single pdf file, for archiving. Is there a way to do this?

In Mail, select all the messages to print (a smart mailbox may help). When all are selected do a file > save as (RTF or plain text). This will create one printable file with all the messages. You can then load this file into TextEdit and print it as a PDF.

Sep 13, 2011 6:49 AM in response to Dansyacht

Dansyacht wrote:

In Mail, select all the messages to print (a smart mailbox may help). When all are selected do a file > save as (RTF or plain text). This will create one printable file with all the messages. You can then load this file into TextEdit and print it as a PDF.

Thanks -- this may be what I go with. However, when I tried this the rtf file did contain all of the messages, but did not show the header information on each (To:, From:, Date: ...), so I continued my search for a solution. I think I found something that works. My project is actually larger than what I described. Interested people may be able to use some or all of the following.

The project started when I asked a friend to send me all of the emails that I have sent him over the last 15 years. He had archived them all in Windows / Outlook Express. I had not archived them. He was able to give me a .DBX file containing them all. I used a free program called DbxConv in Windows to convert the .DBX file to a .MBX file.

In Apple Mail I did File/Import_Mailboxes/File_In_mbox_Format to import them. Then, View/Organize_by_Conversation (checked on). Select all messages and File/Print/PDF/Save_As_PDF into a new folder on the desktop. This will generate many pdfs.

Now the new part:

Next, drag all of the PDFs into Preview. Finally, in Preview, File/Print/PDF/Save_As_PDF. This will create a single pdf file with all messages, including imbedded attachments, with info displayed in your current Apple Mail format -- dependent on how you like your Apple Mail messages displayed (minimal header, expanded header, etc.) . . . . . I think!

At least it worked for me, once. I try it again and see what develops.

Nov 8, 2012 9:48 AM in response to llw212

llw212 wrote:

Hello,

I read radio50's solution which created MULTIPLE folders - one for each email pdf. My problem is: I'm selecting multiple emails, but print/save as pdf will only create ONE pdf.

Older Mail app used to print all selected emails into one pdf. How can I achive this apparently removed function?

Do not forget: when all the mails are in preview, you have to goto the menu/select all and THEN do the print/save as pdf.

Batch save Mail messages as PDF's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.