Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Yahoo messenger work on Mac?

Does yahoo messenger work on Mac? If not do any nobody know how to get it to work?

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 3:18 PM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2011 1:07 PM in response to kamisha

Hi,

It is along time since I used it.

My Understanding is that it is a cross between what iChat can do and a web feed of your Video and then an audio chat.

iChat can Enter Chatrooms for Text chats only.

These can be On-line or Chatrooms held on the AIM Server

They can be chatrooms held between your Buddies (Group Chats)

Separate to that iChat can do Audio or Video Chats, in some cases with Multiple people.

IF a Buddy in a group Text chat is also in your Buddy list you can invite them toa video chat or an Audio chat but it is not the same as chatting "in the room".

Last time I Checked Yahoo for Mac allowed you to continuously broadcast a Video stream which you can allow Buddies to see.

You then add an audio Chat to that.

As far as I am aware you cannot enter a text chat room and Audio chat with the people there "en masse".

Re ds store's link

Yahoo is about to be added to iChat 6 in Lion.

This is likely to be the same sort of Addition that Jabber (And therefore Googletalk) was, when that was added back in iChat 3

iChat 5 can currently Video Chat from a Jabber/Google Buddy List on your iChat to any Buddy also using iChat if they are using a Jabber or Google Talk ID (It cannot chat across different services)

It Cannot Video to other Jabber apps, including the standalone PC app callled GoogleTalk.

It cannot Video to someone using the Google Plug-in for Web Browser (PC or Mac) when they are logged in to the Google Mail Web Page and using the chat option there.

User uploaded file
9:06 PM Monday; July 11, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

>

Aug 15, 2011 6:16 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi, i was able to use YM voice / video chat with SL for a while,after that voice chat simply stopped working.

I uninstalled the aplication using CleanMyMac and reinstalled it and still no luck. Talked with YM techical support and still no solution. I upgrade to Lion a few days ago hopping that if ichat offers support for YM voice chat will work but still no luck. In ichat works only the text chat and with YM app everithing works exept voice chat.

I don't care if it works with ichat or not i just want to use the voice chat. I have many contacts that use YM on windows PC's and i need to stay in touch withthem through voice chat.i really want to keep my actual configuration,don't want do do a clean reinstall....everything works great exept that stupid voice chat. Do you think there is something i can do? As i said worked for a while and then stopped.I'm using skype without a problem why YM is so screwed up?

Thank you!

Aug 15, 2011 1:11 PM in response to ciurybury

Hi,

I am not sure that the Yahoo for Mac beta is a working app for Lion.

It has been in Beta for a very long time.
It is written and a Mac "Universal" code package (Suitable for PCC and Intel computers)

Their Download page does say 10.4 - 10.6 though. (Version 3.0.1)

Yahoo for Mac uses 4 ports through your router (and the Firewall) two of these are likely to be open anyway.

Port 80 allows th Yahoo Insider connection

Port 443 seems to be the Login.

Port 5050 is the Video Feed one.

Port 3478 is needed to do Audio Chats (these are Peer-to-Peer connections).

If using port Forwarding check these ports are pointing at the Ip your computer has.

User uploaded file
9:11 PM Monday; August 15, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Does Yahoo messenger work on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.