Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open .jar file, says it cannot be launched, Help?

I'm trying to download this mod for a game called minecraft. It involves opening a jar file to begin the installation, but everytime i click on the jar file it comes up with this message: The Java JAR file “YOGBOX Installer.jar” could not be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages. I have checked the Console and there doesn't seem to be any recent messages. I have tried opening the file with a different application than the default Java launcher, but it doesn't open the installation window i need. Please help, i have tried all i could. Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 4:48 PM

Put the jar file on the desktop. Now open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the following commands, putting a new line after each one:

cd

cd Desktop

java -version

java -jar YOGBOX\ Installer.jar

(When you type the last command, you should be able to type java -jar YOG then press TAB and it will fill in the rest of the name for you. Since the jar file name has an embedded space you need a backslash just before the space in the file name).

Whatever error messages you get, cut and paste them back here

Bob

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2011 4:48 PM in response to Hamptonw

Put the jar file on the desktop. Now open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type the following commands, putting a new line after each one:

cd

cd Desktop

java -version

java -jar YOGBOX\ Installer.jar

(When you type the last command, you should be able to type java -jar YOG then press TAB and it will fill in the rest of the name for you. Since the jar file name has an embedded space you need a backslash just before the space in the file name).

Whatever error messages you get, cut and paste them back here

Bob

Jul 10, 2011 6:25 PM in response to Bob Lang1

This is what popped up after i typed all that in :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:676)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:317)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:375)

Jul 25, 2011 2:54 PM in response to Jennifer561

Jennifer561 wrote:

I would like to , but as long as I was here I thought I would just write it since you already knew . But if you have any ideas could you please tell me ?

Sorry, I have no ideas. I think it needs someone who's familiar with Minecraft to suggest a solution. When you post your question, it might be a good idea to look in Applications/Utilities/Console to see if there are any error messages logged when you try to start Minecraft. Post these at the same time that you post your question.

Bob

Can't open .jar file, says it cannot be launched, Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.