Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing user folders on separate drive

I'm in the market for a new 27" iMac and am debating whether to go for the 256GB SSD and 2TB ATA drive. The deciding factor is actually just whether or not I can configure Snow Leopard (or rather Lion any day now, I suppose) to allow me to store all of my user folders on the 2TB drive. I'd like to have the OS and most applications run off the SSD, but have EVERYTHING else -- documents, media, user folders, and so forth -- be stored on the 2TB drive. In effect, having anything that falls under /Users stored on a separate drive and the OS and applications running on it knowing to default there to find user folders.

If I can do this, than there's a second question: can Time Machine be configured to back up both the SSD and ATA drives to the same externally-connected hard drive, or would I need to have each of the two drives backed up to their own backup drive?

dt

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 1:52 AM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2011 3:33 PM in response to dantrimble

Part of the joy of having an SSD is the speed with which not just programs launch but also files load. I know that a 256GB SSD sounds small compared to a 2TB hard drive but it is plenty of space once you factor out music, video, and perhaps photos.

I have a wild mess of applications: MS Office, Adobe CS5, iWork, FileMaker Pro, and tons more. That's 21GB. My OS weighs in just under 30GB and that's probably on the high side for an OS. Now my Home is 202GB. Yep, that's why you are thinking about putting that sucker on the standard hard drive. But wait. Music accounts for 110GB, iPhoto is 9GB, and Movies 24GB. Take those out and my Home is about 60GB - say 70GB if you decided iPhoto is worth putting on the SSD (and I think it is).

So after taking out media files, the Home directory weighs in at about 110 - 120GB which is well within the boundaries of your SSD and with room to grow.

Jul 10, 2011 3:50 PM in response to dantrimble

dantrimble wrote:

. . .

The deciding factor is actually just whether or not I can configure Snow Leopard (or rather Lion any day now, I suppose) to allow me to store all of my user folders on the 2TB drive. I'd like to have the OS and most applications run off the SSD, but have EVERYTHING else -- documents, media, user folders, and so forth -- be stored on the 2TB drive.

Yes, you can do that (but are advised to keep at least a minimal Admin account on the SSD, so you can still log on to your Mac if something goes wrong with the HD).

As I understand it, OSX, apps, etc., will be preloaded on the SSD; the HD will be formatted but empty.

Setup Assistant will only transfer to the volume OSX is running on, so you'll have to move some stuff around. See How do I set up a new Mac from my old Mac or its backups? and the link there to Transferring Home Folders not on a Startup volume for some suggestions and options.

can Time Machine be configured to back up both the SSD and ATA drives to the same externally-connected hard drive,

You don't have to; Time Machine backs-up all internal drives by default. 🙂

Storing user folders on separate drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.