5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 6:27 PM by adurstewitz
richard225 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have set up a new Airport "roaming"network.  I have an Airport Extreme as the primary wireless router attached to the Internet.  The Extreme is attached via ethernet cable to an Airport Express.  I believe everything is set up according to Apple's instructions.

When I have both devices on, their status lights are green.  However, if a device (iPhone, PC) is near the Express, it is asked to join the network and I have to re-enter the password.  It will never connect.

If I take that same device and get near to the Extreme, it will connect, no problem.

Also, if I unplug, the Express, everything is OK (except my wireless coverage is not good enough in the house).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (49,245 points)

Let's double-check your roaming network configuration just to be sure nothing was missed.

Roaming Network Setup

• Ref: See page 42 of the Apple AirPort Networks guide.
    • Setup the AirPort connected to the Internet to "Share a public IP address." Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing: Share a public IP address
    • Setup the remaining AirPorts, as bridges. Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode) For each AEBSn in the roaming network:
    • For each base station:
      • Connect to the same subnet of the Ethernet network.
      • Provide a unique Base Station Name.
      • The Network Name (SSID) should be identical.
      • If using security, use the same security type (WEP, WPA, etc.) and password. Note: It is highly recommended that you use WPA2 Personal for best bandwidth performance.
      • Make sure that the channel is set at least three channels apart from the next base station to prevent Wi-Fi interference.
  • richard225 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am not real technical so bear with me...

First, how do I check to make sure I am connecting to the same subnet?  Secondly, where can I set the channels on the AEBS's?

Also, this is weird, but may help troubleshoot...

Both stations have green lights.  When I unplug the Express (because it causes devices to lose connectivity), my WIN 7 PC loses wireless connection to the EXTREME.  I determined that the Network Key somehow gets changed to a like 50 character password.  When I change it back, my PC re-connects to the EXTREME fine.

• Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (49,245 points)

First, how do I check to make sure I am connecting to the same subnet?

If both routers are connected to each other by Ethernet, then they are on the same subnet.

Secondly, where can I set the channels on the AEBS's?

You can set the channels using the AirPort Utility in Manual Setup mode: AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > AirPort > Wireless tab > Radio Channel Selection

• richard225 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

FYI, my third attempt in re-setting the Express and starting from scratch appears to have worked.  Not sure why, but will keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks for your help!

• adurstewitz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

NM - delete.