Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to import clips from AVCHD folders I have copied from my camcorder to my hard disk? With FCE I could import these clips using log and transfer.

In FCP-X is there a way to import AVCHD clips from an AVCHD file folder I have copied from my Canon hard disk camcorder to my iMac hard disk? With FCE I used log and transfer with no problem; but, FCP-X doesn't import them. It will import AIC files that have been created in FCE from the original AVCHD files. If FCP-X will not import these files directly from the copied AVCHD folder, is there a workaround using other software to convert the files? For example, Compressor? (Canon does not provide any AVCHD conversion software for OSX).

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 11:59 AM

Use the Import>From camera function and then click open archive. Point to the archive folder that contains the AVCHD folder structure. It works very much like FCE.

7 replies

May 10, 2012 12:52 PM in response to jphil7747

Hi jphil and Tom

I have exactly the same problem but the answer you (Tom) provided did not help in my case. Trying to "Import ->From Camera" and pointing to the AVCHD folder yields the error message: "(Folder) contains unsupported files or has invalid directory structure."

Folder structure is

AVCHD

BDMV

CLIPINF

.CPI files

Index.bdm

Movieobj.bdm

PLAYLIST

.MPL file

STREAM

.MTS files

AVF_INFO

3 files (.bnp, .inp, .int)

DCIM

101MSDCF

empty

MODELCFG.IND (file)

My question is: Is that not a "camera archive" of the type you talked about in the thread? Is it on principle not possible to import the files in that format/directory structure? If not, since the shots were not taken by myself, what should I ask the guy who shot the movies to give me to be able to work with them in FC?

I work with a brand new Final Cut Pro X 10.0.4 (still very clumsy with it) on an iMac 11,3 with MacOS 10.6.8.

I downloaded the latest version of codec updates from the Apple support site but no difference.

Thank you in advance

Giorgio

Freiburg, Germany

May 18, 2012 5:36 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom

the AVCHD folder of Cam 2 (which I didn’t think of trying, being busy trying to import the one of Cam 1 - guess I’ve been living in Germany for too long) in fact works wonderfully

So it looks like the problem is not with FC’s log function but with the AVCHD folder of Cam 1, maybe a bug in the file system, a missing file or something. I will try to extract those files with AVCHD Converter or some similar tool (any suggestions?)

Thank you for solving my question by pointing me in the right direction.

Is there a way to import clips from AVCHD folders I have copied from my camcorder to my hard disk? With FCE I could import these clips using log and transfer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.