Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Composing mail message using HTML?

Hello,

I have been using Microsoft Outlook for all of my mail activities (and Microsoft Entourage prior to Outlook) for several years now. Because of MobileMe and the coming "iCloud" service, I would like to switch over to Apple's "Mail" program. I think I have it all set up correctly, however, I am having a difficult time figuring out how to send email using HTML. I have located the preferences where you can choose either "plain text" or "rich text", but rich text does not seem to be HTML because I sent a rich text message to myself, and I viewed it in Outlook where it was simply plain text.

What am I missing? If HTML is in there, it's really well hidden---I just can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Message was edited by: smitty195

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 10:42 AM

9 replies

Oct 18, 2011 6:54 AM in response to etresoft

I've tried exactly that and I can't get it to work, although I think the issue I have is with outlook 2010 and not the iPhone.

I sent myself an e-mail containing the signature I wanted. It included two fonts, some of which was bold.

I cleared my sig in Preferences and pasted the new one in.

When I see the -mail in outlook, although it says it's an HTML e-mail, the fonts are still Times (at least their not Courier any more!)

If I open them in Webmail they show correctly and other web-based readers show them correctly.

Anybody know why Outlook won't?

Jul 11, 2011 10:59 AM in response to smitty195

In Apple Mail, what is called "rich text" is actually HTML. However, Apple Mail prefers to use plain text for compatibility. Unless you do something to make it think it needs HTML, you won't get it. What you usually have to do is change some part of the text to some non-default font or style. You have to do this in the message itself. The font settings in Preferences just change the default. You have to make something non-default to trigger HTML. One easy trick is to create a signature that has some styled text in. Then, any time you use that signature you will get an HTML message.

Jul 11, 2011 11:05 AM in response to etresoft

Whoa.....that is VERY interesting! I definitely prefer sending out HTML emails because I feel that they look more professional, and the plain text emails look kinda "blah". The reason I find this so interesting is because Apple is so ahead of the curve in so many areas, and this seems way behind the times. They must have a reason for doing this, although offhand I can't come up with one.

Thank you for the tip of creating a signature with styled text. I've never used a signature before, so I suppose I'll have to start doing that. Yikes.

Thanks much!

Jul 11, 2011 11:28 AM in response to smitty195

Opinions about the value of HTML mail vary enormously. Quite a few users consider it an abomination and look for tricks to make sure they never have to see it. Others find Mail's inability to set an outgoing default font, size, and color so annoying that they move to Entourage/Outlook or Thunderbird.

If the signature trick does not work for you, the basic method of Mail is that you have to set the font for each message individually in the new message pane, and what you set there must be different that what you have set in Mail > Preferences. Seems crazy, but it has worked this way since at least OS X 10.4.

Jul 11, 2011 11:38 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Along the same lines of this topic, what if someone wants to have an email signature that has an icon of their employer? The reason I'm asking is because a relative of mine has an email signature with a small icon of her business, however, because of that little icon, all of her emails have the paperclip which means it has an attachment. I'm always thinking that she is sending me an email with an attachment that I'm supposed to see, but it turns out that the attachment is the little icon in her signature. Is there a way around this, where a signature can contain an icon but NOT show as an attachment when you send out an email?

Jul 11, 2011 1:03 PM in response to smitty195

smitty195 wrote:

Whoa.....that is VERY interesting! I definitely prefer sending out HTML emails because I feel that they look more professional, and the plain text emails look kinda "blah". The reason I find this so interesting is because Apple is so ahead of the curve in so many areas, and this seems way behind the times. They must have a reason for doing this, although offhand I can't come up with one.

Because if you are trying to exchange e-mails with people who have really poor e-mail clients, they won't be able to see anything. E-mail is pretty much a lowest-common denominator. Apple has been steadily dumbing down Apple Mail over the years to make it more compatible with Outlook. There is an e-mail standard for "rich text" messages. Apple was the only company that ever supported it as far as I know. Netscape and Microsoft both came up with HTML e-mail on their own and that became the de-facto standard.

Thank you for the tip of creating a signature with styled text. I've never used a signature before, so I suppose I'll have to start doing that. Yikes.

There are a number of tutorial sites for making really fancy signatures. I've never really used any of them, but if you want to play around, search for "apple mail fancy signature". I normally avoid saying "go Goggle for it", but in this case, there are a number of examples and they are significantly different. You have to find one that makes the most sense to you.

Keep in mind that standard e-mail complexities always apply. You have no guarantee about how your fancy e-mail or signature will be displayed. It may look great in Apple Mail and it could be awful or non-existent in some other client or some webmail tool.

E-mail is just a mess.

Jul 11, 2011 1:12 PM in response to etresoft

Wow...okay. So at least it's not just me. 😉

Okay, I will play around to see what I can find. I know that there has to be a way to have a nice email signature (with a picture or graphic) without seeing it as an attachment. I receive emails from businesses every day that have them, and I have always wondered how they do it. In some of the emails I receive, it will have a statement at the top that if you can't see the email, then click "here" and it will take you to the web page version of the same thing. Kinda funny that something as mega-popular as email isn't more standardized.

Composing mail message using HTML?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.