Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the absolute client permission needed to receive Unix commands?

The ARD error "This task is not authorized on (computerName)" is forcing me to allow almost all the privileges in the Remote Management section of client computer's Sharing System Preferences. I've already had to add:

• "open and quit applications"
  • "change settings"
  • "delete and replace items"
  • "restart and shutdown" (see this Apple document's suggestion for Unix commands)
  • "copy items"

It makes no sense to my why 'Generate reports' must also be added, but clicking it off makes the error return. I'm just triggering a Unix command that goes something like "echo 1" and runs as root on the one test computer (and potentially dozens, so it wouldn't be pretty changing settings in that many) If it helps, the ARD host is 10.6.7 with ARD 3.4 (installed via the App Store a couple weeks ago) and the clients are 10.4.11 and 10.5.8.

I'm preparing documentation for ARD and some clients installing our software will not warm to the idea of widening up the permissions footprint. Potentially dozens of computers will need to be retweaked, even if they wouldn't have to leave their seat.

We also will need to deploy a pkg installer, so some of those may need to remain checked, but ...

Thanks

Applescript-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 3:25 PM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2011 10:34 PM in response to Vlueboy

Have you tried sending it as User: Root

To my knowledge with that setting you do not need any client permissions as a unix command used as Root overides any permission set. If this is something you need to do often I do know for a fact you can make the report task up use send as Root and tell it to save as template. After this you will be able use the templte to make things a bet quicker. I believe in oder to do this you must enable root user open Directory Utility in order to do this. Keep in mind root has full permissions and any command you enter with unix will be executed as such. This is a word around in the way that the normal client users do not need to have permissions enabled, also having root available at times is handy in stick situations.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.